Vegetable Puffs/Patties

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Puffs are also called Patties???? Ya, this was new to me too, it’s defined as baked patties stuffed with mixed vegetables. My in-laws have spent almost 30years of their lives in Kolkota.Once in Chennai,my FIL mentioned about an Iyengar Bakery making amazing patties which sell in no time.I was wondering how a bakery would be selling Patties…coz I was thinking about “Ragda Patties”.

After a li’l wait, I saw hot Vegetable puffs in front of my eyes.They are Patties not Puffs said my FIL,well that’s how they are called in the North. It tasted Yumm…guess the Iyengar Bakeries make the best ones:D.

I’ve never made an attempt to make it from scratch. At a friend’s place I came across Puffs using Puff Pastry and tried it for my husband who likes this alot.I made a spicy sabzi for the filling, this definitely is an easy appetizer!



Ingredients –

Puff Pastry – 1 sheet ( good enough for 10 small puffs)
Corn starch – 1 tbsp
Mixed vegetables – 1 cup boiled( Carrots,French Beans,Potato,Peas etc)
Onions – 1/4th cup (finely chopped)
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Salt – as per taste

Method –

1.Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and Onions.Saute until translucent.
2.Add all the cooked vegetables and the other ingredients .Mix well.
3.Check for taste and allow it to cool.
4.Thaw the Puff Pastry sheet using cornstarch and cut them into small pieces.One sheet can be cut into three layers and further each layer can be cut into five pieces each. Keep altering the size as per your requirement.
5.To make the Puff, place in a spoon full of the veggie mixture (a spoon full) in the centre of the cut pastry sheet, rub a l’il water along the sides and fold ,seal them and bake in an ungreased tray at 400F until it turns golden/ brown.It took me 25mins.



It tastes better when served hot. You can make the veggies as per your choice. Earlier, I had picked the Filo dough sheet thinking it to be the puff pastry, but then later I found the Pepperidge Farm ready to use puff pastry sheets which was the right one. Also am not sure if this is available in India.



Gita passed on the Lemonade award to all her bloggers magnanimously,here it is.A first award on my blog...thanks Gita!



This one is off to Sindhirasoi's "Just for you" hosted by Alka.

32 comments:

Finla January 27, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

I love veg puffs and this looks so yumm.
Wish i had them.

Chitra January 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

PUFFS looks great!!Puff pastry is new to me.Donno i can get it here:)I'll try:)

Suganya January 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

This is so cool... My fav...Even i make it in the same way. YUM!

Mahimaa's kitchen January 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

wwow.. gorgeous looking puffs. just perfect!

Varsha Vipins January 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

PeperRidge farm pastry sheets are true yum..they ,if brushed with egg (if u dont mind it) will hav a delish n glazy brown on top..:)see this dear..:)

Priya Suresh January 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

I love puffs, urs looks delicious..

Cham January 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Puffs and coffee in other hand what a perfect evening... Good looking puffs

AnuSriram January 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Its my favourite too.... Looks Lovely!

Laavanya January 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

I had no idea they were called patties either but they were my absolute favorite growing up. I agree.. puff pastry sheets make life so much easier and one can whip up so many things in no time.
Looks so cute and delicious.

Ashwini January 27, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Love veg puffs.. Looks yum.. Great for this cold weather..Thanks for visiting my blog..

Archy January 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Love veg puffs, Make the same way.. Loos yummy !! nice entry !!

Sum Raj January 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

puffs looks really kool.perfect on winter days..tempting pic

Medhaa January 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

love puffs anytime, yours have come out perfect

Pavithra Kodical January 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

Puffs looks crisp and yum..I was also confused with filo and pastry dough :)

Congrats on winning the award :)

Raks January 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

Looks good Nithya,I love pastries:)

Daily Meals January 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

I love veg puffs...looks yummy...

Lakshmi January 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Veg Puffs..aah..you reminded me Bangalore again! Trust you enjoyed hot puffs

sriharivatsan January 27, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

I love veg puffs..Picture itself is tempting..Am sure this tastes yummy...

vandana rajesh January 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

First time here...nice blog. The puffs look delicious, they r a fav at my place too however have never tried making them. Have to find a food store now that sells the puff pastry.

Vijitha January 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Trail back I have something for you in my blog.

Lovely puffs! it looks so professionals.Gr8 baking yaar!

Vibaas January 27, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

looks perfect. my fav too..

Jaishree Iyer January 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

I love veg puffs urs looks great!.tempting pic nithya:)

vidhas January 28, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Looks perfect, I also think we don't get in India. Nithya kindly check my second comment in Straberry desert one and come and collect the award.

Shreya January 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

veg puffs are always a welcome snack, i love the recipe...

Adlak's tiny world January 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

veg puffs are my al time favo.. looks tempting.. i cant make it but i can buy and have it. ha ha ha..
congrats on yr award dear.

Usha January 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

Veg puffs look fantastic :-)

LifenSpice January 29, 2009 at 2:36 AM  

veg puffs remind me of the iyengar bakeries in bangalore. how i love them..i too make these very often using the pastry sheets.

Yasmeen January 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Veg puffs surely make a quick snack:)

Nithya Praveen January 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Happycook,chitra,Sukanya,Mahimaa ,Priya,Cham,Anu,Ashwini,Archy,Laavanya,Suma,Medha,Pavithra,Rajeshwari,Dailymeals,LG,Sriharivatsan,Vandana,Vij,Vibaas,Jaishree,Shreya,Adlaks,Usha,KV,Yasmeen - Thank’s for the lovely comments.Varsha – I will use eggs next time and let u know.
Vidhas – Thank you for the comment as well as the award.Appreciate it.

Dershana January 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

thank you for stopping over, Nithya. The puffs look perfect! hey, u can use the filo sheets too, i do to make lower calorie puffs.

Artist At Work February 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

These sound/look wonderful! I hope they arent too complicated to make :-p

<3 Hannah

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

looks delicious! puff pastry sheets make our life so easy! :) i often make spinach-cheese puffs using puff pastry sheets...yours is lookin yummmyyyy!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP