Oat-fashioned Strawberry Dessert

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Am crazy about “Strawberries”. I think they are the best fruit that God has ever made:-P. The fruit by itself is not only a treat to the eyes,but great in taste too. They look so cool - a fruit which is something like a heart shaped valentine and not to forget they contain high levels of Vitamin C too.



Ummm....Don't they look heavenly????

I picked up almost three pounds of strawberries and kept thinking what to make.Before I could come up with any recipe,I had already finished eating half of them. After reading Anudivya’s Banana Popsicles I was tempted to make “Strawberry Chocolate dip” which would be on similar lines.

In the meanwhile, I was going through “Taste of Home” a book that I had picked up long back and found a different yet interesting recipe called “ Oat-fashioned Strawberry Dessert”.The name actually amused me alot. I had made “Scandinavian Pecan Cookies” earlier with the help of this book. So I had the confidence of going ahead with this as I didn’t want to waste the yummy berries.

I did add few ingredients as per my choice and here it is…

Ingredients:

Fresh Strawberries – 4 cups(sliced)
Whole wheat flour – 1 ¼ cup
Quick cooking Oats – 1 ¼ cup
Brown Sugar – 1 ¼ cup
Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
Cold Butter – 12 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/8tsp
Ground Cinnamon – ¼ tsp
Pecans – ¼ cup (chopped)
Cashewnuts and Pistachios – ¼ cup (chopped)

Method :

1.In a large bowl,combine flour,oats,brown sugar,baking soda,Pecans,Cashews,Pistachios and salt.
2.Cut and add butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3.Reserve 1 ½ cup of the mixture for the topping.
4.Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9 inch square baking pan.
5.In a bowl,combine sugar,Strawberries and Cinnamon powder.
6.Spoon over the prepared crust.
7.Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.Bake at 350F until golden brown.Serve warm.





I couldn't stop taking another one....



It took me 35mins for baking.Fresh berries should always be refrigerated and washed before use.This goes well with a scoop of Vanilla Icecream too....yummy!

35 comments:

Daily Meals January 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

Looks so colorful, healthy and yummy...

Abby January 21, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

They are definitely one of the most beautiful things on earth! No fresh ones here right now (if I'm eating seasonally and locally, that is.) But I have a ton in the freezer from last summer!

Unknown January 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

nice simple dessert..good one..

anudivya January 22, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

Strawberries are my favorite fruit too, and is also "the" most romantic I think. The dessert looks very healthy and I love it.
You should try those popsicles sometime :)

Neha January 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

Hi Dear,
First time to urs blog, nice one.
This dessert looks something different, 'll give it a try, whenever i get fresh strawberries..

Lakshmi January 22, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

Very appealing dish, looks yumm!

SMN January 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM  

that looks very interesting

Navita (Gupta) Hakim January 22, 2009 at 3:04 AM  

oh how i love the juicy redness of the strawberries..amazing click!

Trupti January 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

oat $ strawberry what a combination

Pavithra Kodical January 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

Wow..Superb click..Great combo..love to have some :)

Priya Suresh January 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

Lovely combination, strawberries r my all time favourite, now its a real hard task to get strawberries here..

Mahimaa's kitchen January 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

nice. very different kinda dessert.. looks interesting.. i love pineapples as much as you love strawberries :P

sathya January 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

mmm luv SB .wonderful dessert.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
you too have a very nice blog.

Vidhya January 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM  

strawberry dessert looks really inviting. first time to your blog. looks really yummy

AnuSriram January 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

That looks like a lovely combination! Nice colour and gr8 click!

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

lovely pictures and this is such a different dessert... loved the ingredients... will try this one sometime...

and.. thanks for visiting :)

Laavanya January 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I can see how delicious that must've been with some ice cream or whipped cream.

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Love the dessert with oats.Truly ,the juicy red Strawberries have the romantic appeal like no other fruit.

Varsha Vipins January 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

WOw..That looks so tempting Nithya..:)Loved ur space n its outlook..:)
Thanks for dropping by..Hope to see u more often..tc..:)

Gita Jaishankar January 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

They look so warm and colorful...I have been craving for something sweet and warm for the past few days, now I can this dessert :)

Ramya's Mane Adige January 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

lovely!! the first pic with the oats n berries on the spoon is awesome

vidhas January 22, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

yummy and nice combiantio dessert. Picture looks awesome, temting to have right now.

Cham January 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Looks so decadent ur dessert :)

Jaishree Iyer January 22, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

Wow ! looks soooooooo colourful & yummy dessert drooling nithya Love it:)

lubnakarim06 January 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Wow makes me drooooooooooooool. Simply luscious and delsih...

Usha January 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Wow this looks awesome...great pictures..

Manju January 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

looks delicious!!! very simple and im sure super delicious too..

Beyond Curries January 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Yes a dollop of vanilla ice cream would be wonderful with this dessert.

Raks January 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I think like everybody here the first pic is lovely and if u r interested in event,u can send it for Click:red event too!

Srikitchen January 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

check out EFM-Savory sreies round up and join with us in the EFM-Microwave oven series!

vidhas January 24, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Something is waiting for you coem and collect it :-)

Malar Gandhi January 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Interesting post, sounds very healthy to me...count me in,

Nithya Praveen January 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

Daily meals – thanks for visiting my blog
Abby – I agree…its definetly one of the most beautiful thing on earth!
Sowmya – Thanks for your comments
Anudivya – I will surely try the popsicles soon
Neha – Thanks for visiting my blog
LG,SMN,Navita,Trupti, – Thanks for your comments
Pavithra – I can help u with some:-P
Priya – Try frozen ones,probably after baking you can mix them to the oats mixture
Mahimaa – I love pineapples too,but definetly strawberries wud be the first choice;-P
Sathya Sankar,Vidhya,Anusriram,Indu, – Thanks for visiting my blog too
Laavanya – Icecreams and whipped cream makes it all the more wonderful.
Yasmeen – Yes indeed they are too appealing.
Varsha – Thanks for stopping by and hope to c u more too.
Gita – Sure,try this and let me know:)
Ramya – I loved the first pic too
Srilekha – I’ll surely send something across for the EFM events.Thanks for letting me know.
Vidhas,Cham,Jaishree,Lubna,Usha,Superchef – Thanks for the lovely comments
Madhuram – ya icecream wud be an added taste:)
Rajeshwari – Thanks for the comments,I do plan to send it for the Click red event
Malar – Sure,thanks for stopping by:)

Anonymous February 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

There are so many wonderful things one can do with strawberries. This resembles a strawberry crumble. Looks lovely!

Brindha March 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Nithya, I tried this dessert this weekend and it was awesome. It was so simple to prepare yet so tasty.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP