Bharwan Tamatar and an Award

Friday, January 30, 2009

After making the yummy “Stuffed Capsicum Gravy” I wanted to try Stuffed tomatoes also called the “Bharwan Tamatar”.Generally they are made without any gravy,but with the gravy they taste a lot better.Jes the gravy with plain rice or hot phulkas is soooo perfect!

Tomatoes are fruits or vegetables???? Well this was always a matter of discussion.Tomatoes are technically fruits but used as vegetables. While browsing i read that in 1887,the confusion on Tomato being a Fruit or Vegetable reached the Supreme court.And the ruling was-Its a vegetable,so legally it seems Tomato is not a fruit

I personally like it a lot coz of the taste it adds to any dish. It can be used to make a simple curry,act as a base for many dishes and not to forget its tangy taste is jes so heavenly! They are delicious as well as nutritious too.I agree with what Laurie Colwin had said about Tomatoes - "A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins."

Ingredients:

Tomatoes – 6 – 8 nos

For the filling:

Potatoes – 2 (boiled and mashed)
Paneer – ¼ cup
Peas – ¼ cup(optional)
Green Chillies – 3 (finely crushed)
Amchur Powder – 1/2tsp
Garam Masala – ¼ tsp(optional)
Salt – as per taste

For the Gravy:

Onion – 1
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Chili powder – 1tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Cumin podwer – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Kitchen King Masala – 1 tsp
Cream – 1 cup
Cilantro/Coriander leaves – for garnishing
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste

Method:

1.Slice the head of the tomato and scoop out the pulp. The pulp can be used for the gravy.
2.Mix all the filling ingredients(as mentioned above) and stuff it in the tomatoes.Rub li’l oil around the tomatoes.
3.Bake at 300F for about 15-20min or until cooked. Allow it to cool.



4.For the gravy,Blanch onion and grind it to a fine paste.Also,grind the tomato pulp separately
5.Heat oil in a Pan,add Ginger garlic paste,cumin seeds, when it splutters add onion paste,sauté until the oil leaves the sides.
6.Pour the tomato paste along with all the powders.
7.To get the gravy consistency, add water as per your requirement.Once cooked add the cream and switch if the flame after 5 mins.
8.Just before serving, place the tomatoes in a serving bowl,pour the gravy on top of it and garnish with cilantro.



I also used Paneer for garnishing.



Cashewnut powder can also be added to the gravy to give a richer taste.Initially, I had planned to send this for CLICK RED hosted by Jugalbandhi,but I don’t think this would fit into that category, coz once the tomatoes are baked their color changes.



However,this was made specially for my husband so it goes for Just For you event hosted by Alka of Sindhirasoi.



Vidhas of Appetizing Recipes has passed this "Lemonade Award" to me.Thank you so much.You are the first one to give me an award...i am thrilled.Thanks again:)

I would love to pass this onto new and old fellow bloggers:) Sowmya,Sriharivatsan,Varsha,Gita,Cham,Rak's Kitchen,Vijaya of Daily Meals,Anudivya and to Lubna who has been the most helpful blogger!

32 comments:

Varsha Vipins January 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Nice color..looks yummy..

Gita Jaishankar January 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

Stuffed tomato gravy is very new to me, looks wonderful...I love the filling of paneer and potatoes, yum :)

Cham January 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

Wow that like floating tomatoes, love the gravy

Jaishree Iyer January 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

This is new to me..Looks yum & delicious Nithya. Love the gravy. will have a tryand let u know:)

Anonymous January 31, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

Wow ,my maasi used to make these ,but without gravy,and it tasted yummm...the taste still lingers on though it has been almost 12 yrs since i last ate these tangy sweet things
When i saw ur post on foodworld ,i knew visiting this post will make me nostalgic abt my maasi(aunt)and her yummy food,but i was in for more surprise.....u send it for our event..now that was sone pe suhhaga
Thnks dear !

Chitra January 31, 2009 at 3:21 AM  

Love the stuffed tomato gravy!!Its new to me.will give a try and let u know:)

Unknown January 31, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Stuffed tomatoes looks so yummy tat too in yummy sauce :)congrats on ur award

FH January 31, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Gorgeous dish, love the last photo. When I get too many Tomatoes in Summer, I just cut them into slices and sprinkle some sugar on top to have as dessert.
You could send the first photo to CLICK, red enough! :)

Priya Suresh January 31, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

Oh my god, wow a lovely dish, creamy gravy looks delicious..congrats on ur award Nithya..

Dershana January 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

This looks really flavoursome! That little addition of kitchen king masala is something I love!

Adlak's tiny world January 31, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

wow Nithya its totally new for me.. so creamy and colorful tomatoes floating on the gravy looks tempting and book marked dear.

thanks for the wonderful comnt in my blog.

Anonymous January 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Lovely recipe. I have made bharwan tomato for such a long time, don't know why... summer comes . 1st thing to do. Yours is making me hungry.

Sum Raj January 31, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

nice colour and rich gravy..

Pavithra Kodical January 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

tempting recipe..i am drooling here..Never tried making this recipe..After seeing your pic i think i will try soon :)

Unknown January 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

love the recipe and beautiful click

Uj February 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

Looks yummy... perfect with some fluffy phulka's

Vibaas February 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Never tasted this before. Looks so yummy.

Andhra Flavors February 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

hey it like floating tomatoes, love the curry

sriharivatsan February 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Wow, looking wonderful and very rich..This is something new to me Nithya..It would not even struck to my mind to invent like a dish like this, creative gal u r!!!

What else i can say, simply superb..Awesome..

Congrauts on ur award and thanks for remembering me and passing it dear..Lovely..

Unknown February 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

stuffed tomato looks beautiful. Thanks a ton for the award..

Finla February 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM  

Wowo looks creamy delicious.

Swapna February 2, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

Lovely pictures. Wonderful dish. Awesome...

Ashwini February 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

Nice photos..Yummy looking dish..Rich and flavourful

AnuSriram February 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Thats so creamy and delicious... I too posted this long time back (nov.2207).

Mahimaa's kitchen February 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

very different and new recipe.. looks delicious.

Ramya's Mane Adige February 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

delicious!!! those tomatoes look sooo beautiful inside the gravy!!!

Mangala Bhat February 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

hey looks yummy ..thanks

Artist At Work February 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

Your food looks excellent! Hope its fine that I will be keeping up with your blog and I hope you will stop by mine sometime :-)

<3 Hannah

Nithya Praveen February 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

Varsha,Gita,Cham,Jaishree,Suma,Rekha,Uj,Vibaas,Andhra Flavors,Sowmya,Swapna,Ashwini,Mahimaa,Ramya,Mangala- Thanks for ur comments
Alka - Thanks for your lovely comments.Are you talking abt Just for you event?
Chitra - Am glad you wud try,lemme know
Ramya - Thanks Ramya
Asha - I will send the first snap to Click Red
Priya - Thanks so much
Dershana -I Agree, kitchen king masala makes all the difference.Thanks for visiting my blog
Adlaks -Thanks am glad u wud try this.
Soma - Aww this one surely makes all hungry.Thanks!
Pavithra - Let me know how it turns.
Sriharivatsan - Thanks for the lovely comments
AnuSriram -I did check yours...wonderful indeed:-)
The Flavor House - Sure Hannah,I wud be more than happy to visit my blog and i'll do the same.I did visit ur wonderful blog too.

Sunshinemom February 3, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

I remember P and I having this at one hotel that made it extremely well in Dadar:) Looks fantastic!

vidhas February 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

Bharwan Tamatar is new to me. Souns great and lovely, mouhtwatering recipe.
It is my pleaure dear wish you to get more and more in the future.

Nithya Praveen February 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

Thanks Harini.
Thank you Vidhas, thanks for the wishes:)

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP