Stuffed Capsicum Gravy

Thursday, January 15, 2009

It is the cold time of the year.I’ve always waited for it and now that am witnessing it I feel why the “hell”???.Winter is jes not about snowfall; it’s much more than that. Its white and white everywhere which makes it beautiful but darn painful. Driving gets difficult, I don’t get to go out as often as I used to,severe cold & so on.Today is the worst day,the coldest winter where in temperature dropped to -21 F ie.,-26 C. Huh, we went out for Dinner and in spite of the layers and layers of clothes it was terrible.

Winter is the time for comfort ,for good food and warmth,for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire;it’s the time for home – Edith Sitwell.

And to enjoy the comforts of good food we hosted a Dinner and laid a feast to few very good friends. I tried out “Stuffed Capsicum Gravy” for the first time and it was surely a “hit”.It ended up a l’il spicy but then I toned the spice down by adding cream and it made the dish all the more rich,creamy and tasty!

Ingredients :-

For the stuffing:

Capsicum – 3 (smaller the better)
Potato – 2 boiled and mashed
Frozen Peas – ¼ cup(optional) – cook as per instructions
Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin/Jeera powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – as per taste

Gravy:

Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 5 (pureed)
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Cumin/Jeera seeds – 1 tsp
Kitchen King Masala – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Kasoori Methi – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Cream – ½ cup
Cashewnut Powder – 2 tbsp
Crumbled Paneer – for garnishing(optional)
Cilantro/coriander leaves – for garnishing
Salt – as per taste

Method:

1.Mix all the stuffing ingredients except for the Capsicum and set aside.
2.Cut the Capsicum into two halves, deseed and cut the stalk .Stuff the above Potato mixture inside the capsicum.
3.Apply oil around it and bake it for 250F until it gets soft (You’ll see the wrinkles).Let it cool.It took me about 25 mins,am sure the timings completely depends on each oven used so it may vary.



4.Heat oil in a kadai,temper jeera,once it starts crackling add ginger garlic paste, onions and sauté until translucent.
5.Add the Tomato paste,salt,chilli powder,turmeric powder,coriander and jeera powder. Add water (1 ½ - 2 cups).
6.Onc e the raw smell disappears add Kitchen King Masala,Cashewnut powder and Kasoori Methi.
7.Stir well,add cream and switch of the flame.You’ll end up with a tangy thick gravy.

Before serving,place the Stuffed Capsicum in the serving bowl and pour the gravy on top of it.Garnish with cilantro and crumbled Paneer.



The Capsicum's that I used were large so i had to cut the halves again,the smaller the better. Depending on the requirement,use more Bell Peppers/Capsicum.I wanted to make it rich,hence added Paneer and cashewnut powder,these can be avoided too.Also, more water can be added to get the gravy consistency.

24 comments:

Unknown January 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

wow..thats a very different stuffing recipe..looks yummy..

Cham January 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

The worst cold snap around North :( Great stuffing bell pepper!

Nithya Praveen January 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

That was quick..thanks Sowmya and Cham!

Raks January 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

I few days back tried stuffing capsicum with paneer and ate it as such,I think this is a nice idea,i will definetly try this one and post in my blog!

J January 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM  

Yeah, yeah one needs something warm and filling to beat the cold!

Mahimaa's kitchen January 16, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

wow.. looks yummy. vey new kind of gravy. bookmarked to try :)

Gita Jaishankar January 16, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

Its true, really terrible to go out in the freezing cold, we snuggle up with a cup of soup and a book in the evening...I love the stuffing used here, sounds different and looks so yummy :)

FH January 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

I love stuffed Capsicum, looks yummy Nithya, great for winter day!:))

Sunshinemom January 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

And here are wishing it was a little cold! I make stuffing in a similar manner but never tried putting it in a gravy! Looks yumm! I too add cashew or almond powders when I am having guests but not otherwise:) Must have brought in the necessary warmth!

Vanamala Hebbar January 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Looks wonderful recipe...bookmarked !

vidhas January 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Very yummy recipe. Your guests must enjoyed a feast. I have not tried this, surely will give a try.

indosungod January 17, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

Nothing like rich tasty food to beat the cold. This is a new and tasty dish to try.

Suganya January 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

This is so cool. Ur recipe look so good. The stuffed capsicum looks perfect. YUM!

Jayashree January 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Thank you for stopping by my blog. This curry looks like just the right thing to warm you up on a cold day - creamy and delish.

AnuSriram January 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

That looks awesome.. Delicious recipe! Thanks for visiting my blog.. Have added you to my blogroll.

Anonymous January 19, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

Thats one awesome recipe. I have stuffed peppers but never cooked them in gravy.

amna January 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

have u tried cutting them around the stem and stuffing? I am sure it will taste the same but it could look more professional. i will try it that way and let you know!

mathew January 20, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

hmm..quite tempting..i have actually started loving this vegetable which was never my favourite long time ago..

Usha January 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

The stuffed capsicum looks delicious and inviting :-)

Nithya Praveen January 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

@ Rajeshwari – I will try with paneer the next time.thanks!
@ Jyothsna – I second what u said!
@ Mahimaa – thanks for bookmarking
@Gita – A hot soup n a book wow wat can be more perfect
@Asha – Thanks Asha
@ Sunshinemom-Almond powder is a yummy stuff too.Thanks for reading!
@ Vanamala – Thanks for book marking!
@Vidhas - Yes this one is surely a feast!
@Indosungod – I agree nothing like rich and tasty food
@ Sukanya Ramkumar – Thanks for the comments
@ Jayashree – Thanks for visiting my blog too.
@Anusriram – Thanks for visiting and also adding me .
@ Soma – Try this with the gravy,its surely worth the try.Thanks for reading!
@Nags – That’s a nice option,will try it the next time I make this
@ Mattew – Its surely tempting.Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mangala Bhat February 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

wow ! i love capsicum ..this recipe is new to me ..thanks for sharing ..will try and let u know ! hey dear here is my ...id maggieatnet@yahoo.com may i know why u need that?plz tell me ..loved your blog ..thanks :)

Nithya Praveen February 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog Mangala,Let me know how it came out too.

Neetu March 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Looks amazing.. I am trying it out right away..Thanks

Neetu March 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Looks amazing...was searching for a stuffed capsicum gravy...am trying it right away

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP