Tawa Pulao

Saturday, December 13, 2008

The best day of the week is “Friday”. Throughout the week, I keep waiting for this day coz I get to go out and have loadsa fun…be it movies, catching up with friends, eating out, shopping etc. Unfortunately, yesterday (a Friday) my husband was too busy with work and we cudn’t do much. I was a li’l disappointed . Offlate I have been moody,irritable, li’l stressed out too…boredom totally kills me. Cooking is one of the few things that interest me and completely helps me to relieve my stress.

Cooking is an art. There is something really relaxing about chopping Onions,Baking a cake,enjoying the aromas while cooking etc. At the end of a good meal, I see him smile, licking his fingers and appreciating me ……these l’il things give me immense joy which again helps me reduce my stress. He has really been very understanding and kind.He is a wonderful gift to me and am really grateful.

Now that I couldn’t go out I wanted to make something special, something simple yet different. I asked my husband about his preference and he wanted to have Pulao. When I thought of Pulao, too many things came to my mind…I mean the variety.There are different kinds of Pulao like….Vegetable Pulao,Peas Pulao,Paneer Pudina Pulao,Spinach Pulao,Tofu Pulao,Tomato Pulao etc. As mentioned I wanted to make a different kind of Pulao which is spicy,easy to make and colorful too.

I believe “Pulao” is a word of Persian Origin.In India it is also called as “Pulav”.
After alot of thinking,I made “Tawa Pulao” and served it hot with Raita.We relished it and at the end of the dinner, we felt as though we had a great feast!



Ingredients:-

Basmati Rice – 1 cup ( cooked)
Butter – 1 tsp
For the Masala:
Mixed Vegetable – 2 cups chopped (1” piece) (You may use Carrots,French Beans ,Cauliflower and Peas)
Onion – 1 Large (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 Large (finely chopped)
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 6 (either very finely chopped or grinded)
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice – ½ tsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method :-

1.Boil the vegetables in a Kadai till 3/4th done. Don’t over cook because we are going to let it to cook again.
2.Heat butter in a Nonstick Tawa/Kadai,add Cumin seeds,Ginger Garlic Paste and Green Chillies .Saute it for about 10 seconds.
3.Add the chopped Onions and sauté till it turns pink. Now add the tomato and mash it with a spoon (you can also use the Pav Bhaji masher).It should be like a thick gravy.
4.Add Red Chilli powder,Pav Bhaji Masala and sauté it for 2 -3 mins.
5.Add the boiled vegetables and salt. Close the lid and allow it to cook. Do not mash the vegetables.
6.The above is the Masala/Bhaji used for the Pulao, keep it aside.
7.In a large Pan/Tawa, add a tsp of Butter and the Masala . Saute it for few seconds and then add the cooked/boiled rice. Mix well. Ensure that the rice is mixed well. Heat the Tawa Bhaji over high heat and sprinkle lemon juice before serving .Garnish with Coriander leaves.



The Basmati Rice shouldn’t be sticky.The spice level can be increased as per individuals taste. I grinded the green chillies so that I din’t have to pay much attention while eating.Tawa Pulao is also one of the popular street foods in Mumbai.

5 comments:

Red Chillies December 15, 2008 at 4:47 PM  

Thanks for dropping by Nithya, so glad to find your blog here. I agree with you with regards to cooking being an art; I totally enjoy it too especially trying out new recipes.

I learnt so many thing here, pulao, pulav origin (I thought they were the same and spel differntly) and adding pav bhaji to pulav. Yumm!

Shreya December 16, 2008 at 12:59 AM  

hi Nithya, thanks for visiting my blog. You have a nice blog here, and your post is an interesting read. Really liked the pulao recipe. I too love to cook because it is a stress reliever, and like you said, seeing your loved ones enjoy a meal cooked by you is so satisfying:-)

Uj December 16, 2008 at 2:46 AM  

Hi Shreya..Agree with you completely. I am like you..love to try new recipes.. I had tasted tawa pulao long time back and wanted to make it. Thanks for posting

Nithya Praveen December 16, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

Thanks for visiting Shreya!

Nithya Praveen December 16, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

You are welcome Ujwal...u have an interesting profile!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP