Butter Biscuits

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I am reminded of a quote – “ Men are like wine. Some turn into vinegar, but the best improve with age”:-P

Today is my husband’s birthday.I have planned a lot of things. All started with a wonderful game - “Treasure Hunt”.I had hidden around 12 clues in the house ,each one linking to the next clue and the treasure was nothing but the “Birthday Gift”.Unfortunately he got stuck with the last clue, but after whacking his brains for long…he finally found the treasure…it was fun to see him run around the house.

Yesterday was the coldest day in December in the last 12yrs, so we weren’t expecting any friends to drop in at midnight to wish him . To our surprise, jes a l’il before 12, four friends dropped in all of a sudden with a cake in their hand. We were very delighted to see them.That was really appreciable!

I had also picked up a “Banana Truffle Cake”.When the clock struck twelve, he cut the cake and I sang the B’day song…ha ha it was a great moment.The cake was yummy too!!!!! My husband mentioned to me that "this year was the best b'day he has ever had"......hope i keep this enthu alive for all the years to come!

The two special things that I made for him, was the "Carrot Halwa" so called the "Gajjar ka Halwa" and "Butter Biscuits".My Mom used to make Butter biscuits and I have thoroughly enjoyed it .Those days in India,we had an Oven which looked like a cooker,but unfortunately it stopped working and that was the end of my Mom’s baking days.Somehow we forgot about it and never thought about buying a new one.Now,I have started trying my hands in baking too. This is how I made the Butter Biscuits

Ingredients:-

All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 cups
Sugar – 3/4th cup
Cardamom(Elaichi) – 4
Butter/Ghee - 1 ¼ cup melted
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Method :-
1.Grind the Sugar and Cardamom together.
2. In a large bowl, mix the Flour,Sugar and Baking Soda
3.Heat the butter/ghee in a kadai till it melts and add it to the flour.
4. Mix all the ingredients together ,press hard with hand as the mixture tends to loosen. Do not add water .If required, melt some more ghee(this wudnt be ideally required for the ratio mentioned) and add it to the mixture. Make a tight dough.
5.Keep it aside for 4-5 hrs.
6.Now, you will find the mixture to be a li’l hard, don’t panic(I remember panicking for the first time), just press it hard with hands and it should be fine.
8.Make small rounds and flatten it li’l(not too flat,just press a l’il on the top).The mixture might loosen out in between. If so, use li’l ghee in hands and apply pressure .
9.Preheat the oven at 300F.Place the balls(space it well) in a greased oven proof dish and bake it for 25-30min.Once done store it in a air tight container.



I have done a lot of experiments with this recipe. I tried to bake it as soon as the dough was made (ie., without keeping it for 4-5hrs) the taste was fine but the balls flattened completely,stuck with each other and turned brown in color in no time.I suggest, keep checking in between as the base tends to become too brown.These taste all the more good when they are hot or warm.



This is going to participate in FIC-White hosted by Kitchen Flavours started by TongueTicklers



This also goes to Susan's Eat Christmas Cookies event.




This is off to Trupti's Winter Treat Event



I am sending this to Sindhirasoi's Just for you event hosted by Alka.

11 comments:

Uj December 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

Birthday wishes to your hubby. Looks like you had planned a very grand birthday for him. I am sure he must have had a great time. Very sweet of your friend's to drop in :) Thats lot of dishes that you made. Butter biscuits happen to be one of my fav. Yours looks very cute and white. Why dont you send it to FIC-White at http://kitchenflavours.blogspot.com/2008/12/happy-and-honoured.html

Nithya Praveen December 17, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

Hey Ujwal...thanks for the help.I sent my entry for the event.I had no clue abt any such event happening...thanks a ton!

anudivya December 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

I love butter biscuits, remember those days when I used to gorge on them when I was a child... Looks beautiful.

Brindha December 17, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

wow! I wish someone like you planned my bday as well :) I think you made his day. By the way, I tasted your butter biscuit. It was yum! I shall try it out during the xmas long weekend.

Nithya Praveen December 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

he he thanks Brindha.Am glad u liked it:-)

Susan from Food Blogga December 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

A b-day treasure hunt? What a fabulous idea. I'll have to remember that one, Nithya. And thank you for the pretty butter biscuits.

Nithya Praveen December 21, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

thanks Susan:-)

Sunshinemom January 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM  

Lovely, soft and melt in mouth butter biscuits, Nithya! Thanks for the lovely entry, and hope to see you for FIC yellow too:)

Cham January 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Oh I love butter biscuit, they look perfect :) Ur husb birt is celebrated with fun that is cool.

Nithya Praveen January 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Sunshinemom - Am already thinking of recipes which wud be yellow in color.
I am thoroughly enjoying whacking my brains:-P

Cham - Thanks for stopping by:-)

Unknown May 19, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

This looks too good! You made it like a pro!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP