Gajar Ka Halwa

Thursday, December 18, 2008

This is in continuation to my Husband’s birthday celebration. I surprised him again by inviting his friends home for dinner.I made everything and hid it inside the oven,he had no clue abt it. He wanted to take me out for Dinner and kept asking me my choice of restaurant. I kept smiling as I had my own plans made. The Menu was - Urad Dal bonda,Masala Vada,Pulao,Raita,Til Aloo curry and Carrot Halwa. End of the day,he was very happy and I am glad that I made his day

Carrot Halwa or so called the “Gajar Ka Halwa” is our favourite sweet. Carrots are rich in Vitamin. There are different ways of making it.Some boil and mash the carrots,some grate and pressure cook it etc. This is the method that I follow.

Ingredients:

Carrots – 8cups grated
Sugar – 1 cup
Milk – 2 cups
Cardamom /Elaichi powder– less than 1/4tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashewnut and Raisin – ¼ cup

Method :-

1.Heat a tsp of Ghee in a Kadai,fry the cashewnuts and raisins and set aside.
2.In the same kadai, add a tbsp of ghee and sauté the Carrot for about 5-7min.
3.Add milk and allow it to cook.
4.When the moisture is absorbed, add sugar, remaining ghee and Cardamom powder , mix well.
5.Allow it to thicken, in the end add the fried cashews and raisin and turn off the heat.
6.This can be served warm or cold.Usually a scoop of Vanilla Icecream goes well with warm halwa.



Keep on mixing while on flame. Saffron strands( jes a pinch) can also be added to the Halwa.My Mom adds Khova or milk powder for the same recipe and its mindblowing:-P




Am sending this to Sindhirasoi's event "Just for you" hosted by Alka

2 comments:

Uj December 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

wow.. Love Gajar ka halwa.. I follow the same method and love the texture of it.. My aunt adds khova to this. I Love that too :) Your hubby must have been very pleased with all the efforts that you put in :)

Nithya Praveen December 18, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

Hey thanks so much.Ya he better be pleased with all my efforts:-) I wanted to check with u...i sent my entry to the contest as recommended by u,i got a mail confirmation too...but am unable to link my post in the event blog.Wud u know?

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP