Dabeli

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Long back, I was in Mumbai on an official visit.At about 1 in the morning,a friend of mine picked up Dabeli's from the cafeteria.....it looked like Vada Pav to me....I din't even know what "Dabeli"was.I saw the cafeteria guy make it in front of me and got a hang of the recipe.Jes to check on it, i spoke to my friend's mom who shared her method. I also found an interesting version of the same in Tarla Dalal's site....I tried her recipe with a l'il bit of addition and deletion which is mentioned below.

After coming here, I started cooking alot.I guess thats one good time pass too.
All of a sudden, I decided to make this to please my husband:-P.They say "The best way to get into a man's heart is through his stomach"...and I think I already made my way:-)


Ingredients:-

Dabeli Masala

Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Dhania(coriander seeds)- 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies - 3
Cinnamon - 1 an inch length
Cloves - 1

Roast the above in a dry Kadai and grind it to a fine powder.

Filling

Potato - 1 large (Boiled and mashed )
Dabeli Masala - 1 tbsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - li'l
Tamarin & Dates chutney (Imly & Khajur chutney)- 1tbsp
Asafoetida -a pinch
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - as per the taste

1.Heat oil in a kadai.Add cumin seeds,Asafoetida,Potato & Dabeli Masala.
2.Saute well.Add salt & 1/4th cup water
3.Add the Tamarin & Dates Chutney,mix well and switch of the flame.
4.Add Cilantro/ Coriander leaves too.

Also required -

Hamburger buns/Pavs - 4
Oil/Butter - 2tbsp

Onions - 1 cup finely chopped
Sev - 1 cup
Roasted peanuts - 1/2 cup
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Pomegranate seeds - 1/4cup
Garlic Chutney - 1 tbsp
Tamarin & Dates chutney (Imly & Khajur chutney) - 2 tbsp

Keep all the above ingredients ready

1. Slice the Pav/hamburger buns into half(Similar to Pav Bhaji's Pav),apply butter on both sides and toast it on a pan.
2. On the lower half of the Bun/Pav, place one spoon full of the filling,peanuts,Onions,Pomogranate,Tamarin Chutney,garlic chutney,Cilantro/coriander leaves.Close it with the other half Pav/Bun.This would look like a sandwich.
6.Sprinkle Sev on the top and sides.



Hot Dabeli is ready to eat.Its definetly a sweetish dish.I have never found this anywhere else other than Mumbai:-) I am not quite happy with the pic,will change once I take a better one.

2 comments:

Sagari December 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

yummy looking dhabeli , Nitya can I have your email id plz

Nithya Praveen December 6, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Sure its nithya04@gmail.com

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP