Tandoori Gobi

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I have been waiting over a month to see some snowfall for all the hype P had given. Am I crazy to wish for it???? Nah,all I wanted is to make a Snowman. Living in the Midwest that is certainly not a big ask.Though the weather has been cold,we haven’t witnessed much snow this year. The nature’s way of creating it white, reflects so well in the night. I wish to have a snowball fight, taste the icicle, skiing and enjoy the wondrous splendor of the nature, there’s always a next winter for these activities. Remember the fairy tales – Little Match girl, trying to sell matchsticks on a wintry New Year’s eve? I have fond memories of my school Annual Day celebration where I won this book as first prize in the Drawing competition while in Class I .My first tryst with snow was through this book.Little did I know that this would turn to reality many years later!

God was kind enough to shower some last week. I was freezing but knowing the stubborn I am didn’t quite listen to P, after a lot of “to do” and “not to do”, went ahead with it . I had a tuff time making one, the snow wasn’t wet (wet granular one is the best one to use),it was difficult to assemble them together. I finally ended up making a snow baby and not a snowman:-D. And the wonderful coincidence to this is the state wide alert for heavy snow storm today:-P


In this weather, what could be more delicious than a hot Tandoori Gobi?


Ingredients –

Cauliflower – 1 (carefully cut into large florets,big chunk would be good)
Thick Curd – 1 cup (I used low fat curd)
Ginger Garlic paste – ¼ tsp(Optional)
Coriander powder -1tsp
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp (Change the spice level as per your taste)
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Besan – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Chunky Chaat Masala – 1 tsp(I used MDH chunky chaat masala)
Green Chillies – 1tsp (Crushed/minced) This is optional.
Olive oil – 1tsp
Lemon juice – 2tsp
Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
Onions – ¼ cup(thinly sliced)
Cilantro – For garnishing
Salt – as required

Method –

1.If you don’t have thick curd, hang curd in a muslin cloth for about half an hour to drain water.
2.Mix the curd along with all the powders (Chilli,Turmeric,Besan,Garam Masala, coriander powder & chaat Masala)in a bowl.If using ginger garlic paste & green chillies,add them too.Add salt & hing.The addition of Turmeric & Chilli powder gives it a nice Orange Color.
3.Cauliflower needs to be steamed so that it turns out to be l’il soft while eating.Either use the microwave or use our conventional method,parboil it with salt water.Ensure not to overcook.
4.Drop the Cauliflower to the mixture and mix well.Use a plastic wrap/a lid and close the bowl and allow it to marinate for about 4-5hrs in the refrigerator.
5.These are made in the Tandoor/Griller. If using a griller,push the florets onto bamboo skewers,keep some marinate mixture aside & brush the florets once in a while and grill them.I used the broil option in the Oven.Place the florets on a baking tray, sprinkle Olive oil and broil at 350F until color changes.In between flip the florets.Be watchful as it might get charred soon,as the heat is directly applied to the food in this method.However,the charred ones taste a lot better.
6.Toss sliced onions and lemon juice together and garnish it on the Gobi along with Cilantro.Serve it with Mint Chutney.The hotter the better:)


Oil can be avoided as broiling doesn’t need oil.Broiler is a process of cooking food in high heat, so be very careful. In fact while making this, the smoke alarm got triggered at home:-P.It ain’t that bad,its just that I wasn’t paying attention to it. You may also place a silver foil on the baking tray, as the cauliflower has a tendency to stick to the tray.

This is off to JFI,Cauliflower is the theme for JFI:Cauliflower,hosted by Mythreyee of Paajaka Recipes.The event was originally started by Indira of Mahanadi.

Since this is orange in color,this goes to FIC Orange hosted by Aparna of Diverse Kitchen,originally started my Harini of Tongueticklers.

Also,Rachna of the Gourmet Launchpad is hosting A Healthy Bite event,this is off to her event too.Rachna this appetizer is neither fried nor has any fatty food,am not sure if this qualifies,you may take a call.Thanks!

52 comments:

FH February 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

It snowed a lot there, enough to make a huge snow man! :D

Tandoori Gobi, slurp! Enjoy Nithya! :)

Varsha Vipins February 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM  

I was excited more than you n made 2-3 snowmen,played so much n got a cherry nose..Its snowing here today also..:)
Gobi looks wonderful..I am seeing so many Gobi dishes around everywhere..guess I should make some too..:)

Manju February 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

lovely!! absolutely perfect for this weather!1 It snowed here as well..i think its part of the snow-storm that is now heading east. Glad you had a fun time making the snow man (ahem, baby!?) :D

Mangala Bhat February 26, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

wow nice recipe ..hey cute snow man too ..this recipe sounds great to me .will try this sometime ..Thanks soo much for the recipe Nitya :)

Preety February 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

you are right perfect snack for cold weather and cute snow man too..seems like you are having fun in snow..it never snows here in CA:(

Pavithra Kodical February 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

Snow baby(man) looks cute..Ohh you pray for snow fall..And in Chicago i am praying for it to end.. This year we had more than 3 snow storms.
Ohhh i forgot about the dish :) Tandoori gobi looks perfect for this winter..

Uj February 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

That was a very cute snow man.. I made curds so as to make tandoori gobi for dinner tonight and was amazed seeing your blog..

Vani February 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

That snowman looks so cute! LOVED the picture of tandoori gobi. Perfect for a winter snack - spicy, charred and healthy too! :)

KonkaniBlogger February 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

I love this. I follow a similar recipe too. Mine is still in drafts. Your pics are cool, looks nice and yummy.

Sara February 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

I love cauliflower, I've never had it tandoori style before. Can't wait to try this!

Red Chillies February 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Very cool recipe and useful tips as well. I was wondering what to do in case we did not have a grill and you have answerd that very well. I will do the broil option and try this out. Thanks Nithya.

Cham February 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

I ve experienced enough snow in life. Now it is a big NO NO. That is always fun the first year, when u drive or have to go out in snow it is a pain... Oh my I want to grab the plate after a snow showeling! Very delicous!

Unknown February 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

Gobi Florats looks perfectly golden brown !Beautiful pics.. broiling is the better way to cook them. Nice recipe too..

Lavanya February 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

looking colorful and yummy!!

jayasree February 27, 2009 at 12:40 AM  

Lovely, mouthwatering recipe.
Nice click and the snow baby is very cute:)

lubnakarim06 February 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

Wow super duper. Yum and spicy. Lovely snowman.

Priya Suresh February 27, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

Wow wat a delicious tandoori gobi, prefect for snowy days na!!!snow man looks too cute!!

Chutneytales February 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM  

I miss winter..Summer has started in India :(
Tandoori gobi looks great..Nice recipe,Nithya..Have fun!!

Daily Meals February 27, 2009 at 4:26 AM  

Such a cute snowman!
Tandoori gobi looks yummy...

Shama Nagarajan February 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM  

awesome gobi

Sia February 27, 2009 at 5:23 AM  

LOL... snowman is adorable but what i like better is ur tandoori gobhi.

Jaishree Iyer February 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

Wow! Snow man looks sooo cute amazing dear.Tandoori Gopi Looks absolutely tempting and very delicious& Perfect. LOVED the picture of tandoori gobi. I've never had it tandoori style before. try this out. Thanks for sharing Nithya.

AnuSriram February 27, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Thats a cute snow man! Looks so nice... Hope u enjoyed! Tandoori gobi looks awesome.. Will try this!

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

oh that cute lil' snow baby....and the tandoori gobi is equally wonderful

Navita (Gupta) Hakim February 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

tandoor n me are best friends in winter...m talking about indoor tandoor..lol.
love ur recipe.

Rachel February 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

I love the snowman....the muffler and all...

Ashwini February 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Nice snow man..here the temp is already 80 deg and very humid..Gobi looks yumm. I make this too..Will be over in a sec..:-)

kamala February 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

The snow baby looks so cute Nithya..Tandoori Gobi is so mouthwatering

Paru ... February 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

yum yum yum Nithya..lovely color

Uma February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

Tandoori Gobi looks so good and yummy! Snowman is too cute.

Mahimaa's kitchen February 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

nice recipe... have tried only paneer tandoori and not this one.. good way to eat cauliflower. looks yum.

Mahimaa's kitchen February 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

never tried this.. looks mouthwatering!! nice way to eat cauliflower.

Unknown February 28, 2009 at 12:27 AM  

cute snowman..gobi looks delicious..

Nithya Praveen February 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Asha – Thanks,Did you make one too?
Varsha – 2 -3 snowmen wow that’s sounds exciting.
Superchef,Mangala,Preety, – Thanks so much for your comments.
Pavithra – We had snow storms too,but i still enjoy it
Ujwal – U and me seem to have a lot of coincidences.
Vani – Thanks for your comment
Maya – I will wait for your post.
Sara –I think you should try this,its yummy!
Redchillies- Try out the broil option,but yes you gota be careful
Cham – I agree with you it’s a pain to drive in snow,but I still enjoy the whiteness around me
Madhu,Lavanya,Lubna,Priya,Daily meals,Sia,Jaishree,AnuSriram,Navita,Rachel,Ashwini,Kamala,Paru,Uma,Mahimaa & Sowmya – Thanks for the wonderful comments.
Madhumathi –Heard about the summer Madhumathi,am jes waiting for my India trip

Aparna March 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

Seeing some snow is one of must dos.:)
Its getting a bit warm here but I'm up for this cauliflower preparation in any weather.
Thanks for participating in FIC Orange.

Malar Gandhi March 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Awesome dude, love cauliflower...but it never turns out perfect for me!:( Wish I could try with your help...this recipe sounds very interesting...

Madhu's cooking gallery March 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

Truly mouth watering! delicious recipe!

Anonymous March 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

You are right! Hot Gobi is perfect for a snowy day! Picture is sooo inviting! :)

Deepa Hari March 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

Snowman looks cute...Lovely Tandoori Gobi ...perfect for this winter.

Jaishree Iyer March 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

Hi Nithya,I have something for u in my blog. Pls accept!

Usha March 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

It snowed here as well today...the snow baby looks really cute:-) Tandoori gobi looks and sounds lovely !

Manju March 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

heyy...ive something for you at my blog..come and grab it, girl!!

Suganya March 3, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Tandoori gobi sounds so good. Nice recipe. Nice picture... YUM!

Nithya Praveen March 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Thanks Superchef,Sukanya,Aparna,Madhu,Usha,Malar,Jaishree.

Sunshinemom March 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Nithya, how lucky for you that the dream came true:) I have seen a lot of snow during my treks but never made a snowman:), or seen it snowing! A tandoori gobi is just the right thing to have! Mouthwatering too!

Gayathri March 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

Gobis are so yummy, can't wait to taste it

FewMinute Wonders March 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

Nice blog. My first time here. Tandoori cauliflower is what I am trying out all the time. Thanks for sharing

mymvsfamily March 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

Thanks for making this for me....i thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Susan March 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

Looks delicious. Love cauliflower. My smoke alarm goes off all the time, for silly little things like toast. : ) Won't stop me from trying this recipe, though.

Unknown April 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

I always hated Gobi.. but after I tried this recipe I changed my mind.
Bored of the regular Aloo Gobi that I always made I decided to try something different and thats when I stumbled onto this recipe. My dishes never end up looking like the pics people post but for once it came out looking just as delicious as the picture.
Just one word of caution... Nithya was pretty serious when she asked us to be careful while broiling. I triggered my smoke alarm as well :)

Recipeswap June 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

Tandoori gobi looks super delicious.

Swetha Bhat Raghavendra October 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

I was always crazy about Tandoori Gobi and nothing was going to stop me now from trying one at home although we are far from our homeland.. :) I came across your blog with the recipe for the same while I was searching for it and decided to give it a shot as the ingredients looked tempting. Finally today I tried it & I must say the recipe you have is simply outstanding! My hubby & myself just went on eating & eating.. think without even talking much! ;) I had couple of additions - 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 1/2 tsp crushed kasoori methi into the marination mixture. I felt the spice was a little on the higher side, would reduce little going forward. All in all a very good one like restaurant quality! All should try this. Thanks Nitya for sharing this recipe. :)

Btw.. Really cute snowman!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP