Easy Coconut Macaroons and awards

Thursday, February 5, 2009

While making Coconut Macaroons yesterday, I was thinking about my Dad.After a good meal,he would go to the kitchen and ask my Mom “ Wats there to eat”? He actually meant something to munch or savories. We call it “Norukuthini” in Tamil.I wud ask “ Wats there to Norukufy”? (jes a modernized way of calling it).Mom used to get wild at times as we would have jes finished our dinner.My Bro and me wud end up laughing:).The funniest part are the things that he would enjoy eating – If he din’t find anything like a Muruku,Mixture or cookies, he would scrape li’l coconut and eat it with sugar,Toasted Peanuts/Cashewnuts/Pistachios or even as simple as milk powder. Things haven’t changed even now!

Similarly,once P gets back from work he looks around in the kitchen to “norukufy” something:-P.I try and make different stuff for him and this was the easiest I could think of making yesterday.

Ingredients:

Shredded coconut – 2 ¾ cup (I used sweetened coconut)
Sweetened condensed Milk – ¾ cup
Vanilla extract/essence – 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch

Method :

1.Mix all the ingredients together
2.Use an Ice cream scoop or spoon to drop the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 325F (preheated)for about 15 min or until golden brown. Cool it before munching:-D

Prep Time – 5 mins apart from the baking time.
Serving - Makes around 25-30 small Macaroons.

I also used Hershey's Chocolate syrup on top of the macaroons.P doesn’t prefer this much,so jes made a few for myself.Few even add eggs to the recipe.Let me know if anyone has tried that.

Varsha of Will–O'-the–Wisp has passed on this award.This is my second one,feels so good!

Also, Mahimaa of the Indian Vegetarian Kitchen has passed on the above mentioned award.Thanks Mahimaa!
And I would like to pass on both these awards to Ramya of Maneadige,Mangala of Recipes24x7,Vidhas of Appetizing recipe,Trupti of Trupti's Food Corner,Nags of Edible Garden,Varsha of Will-O'-the-wisp,Hema of Adlak's Kitchen,Asha,Harini of Sunshinemom and Lubna of Yummy Food.

This goes to the “Just for you” event organized by Alka of Sindhirasoi.

Last but not the least,this is also off to Varsha of Will-O'-the-Wisp event Recipe for the rest of us - Dessert originally started by Ramki of One Page Cookbooks.

41 comments:

Finla February 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

I love coconut macroons like these and these one looks so yumm.

FH February 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

Nithya, I love Macaroons just because it has coconut in it, looks fab girl! With chocolate drizzled, double delicious! :))

Enjoy all the awards and thank you for considering your friend, always nice to know my blog sisters better! Hugs to you! :))

Varsha Vipins February 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Thanks soo much for the award dear..:)
Thats an easy n lovely dessert..yumm..:)..am waiting for ur mail with the entry or did u send one n I missed it?hope not..:)

Nithya Praveen February 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

That was quick Happy Cook.Thanks for the comments.
Asha - Thnks so much.Hugs to u too:)
Varsha - Thanks again.I thought i will combine all my entries together and send you one single mail before the end date.Is that fine?

Namrata Kini February 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Thats looks fabulous. Congrats for the awards.

Usha February 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

As far as I am concerned I would happily give up lunch or dinner to have norukutheeni :-) Macaroons look delicious especially the one with the chocolate on top !

Usha February 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Also Congrats on all your awards...

Lata February 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

Hi Nithya,

Thanks for stopping by. You have a lovely blog too but I could not see the photos as it is blocked from admin. I will go home and check.

Have a good day!

Nithya Praveen February 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog Namrata!
Usha - Same here Norukuthini zindabad:-P.Thanks for the comments
Lata - Hey thanks For visiting my blog too,u have a nice day!

Mahimaa's kitchen February 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

coconut macaroons cannot be any easier than this. looks simply great!

Ashwini February 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

I had bought macaroons from costco..I loved them...Thanks for the receipe. Looks yumm

Congrats on your award dear..

Ramki February 5, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

Hi Nithya,

Simple, delicious recipes like this are rare - Thanks !

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

yummy :)
lovely pictures :)
my sister loves macaroons... will make it for her...

Paru ... February 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

Nithya, lovelyyyyyyyyy..I luv Macaroons and luv Coconut..Looks very delicious..

Unknown February 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

macaroons are my fav :)and this week I see lots of delicious recipes around the blogs and trying one by one..eyed ur butter biscuits,they look like the one from bakeries..gonna try tmrw :)))

Nithya Praveen February 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Mahimaa and Ashwini – thanks for ur lovely comments
Ramki – I agree these are rare,but nothing to beat urs.Hats off to u!
Indhu – Thanks,let me know how it came out
Paru – Thanks for visiting my blog and the comments
Ramya Bala – Wow,am glad u gona try.Let me know how it came along.Thanks!

KonkaniBlogger February 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

They indeed look easy and delicious..Nice texture. Same with my dad and us kids too with the after dinner thing you said here :D..And mom would be MAD..Enjoy ur awards..

SMN February 6, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

looks so yum. loved the idea of topping with chocolate syrup

Unknown February 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

macaroons look great..and recipe sounds easy too..

Daily Meals February 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM  

Macaroons look awesome...beautiful pictures...

lubnakarim06 February 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

Thank you for the award dear and congrats to you too. Coconut macroons look mouth watering.

Mangala Bhat February 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

hey ..many congrats on your all awards ...this dish looks yumm !
thank u ...for passing the award ...hugs

mangala

AnuSriram February 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Looks fabulous! Congrats on your awards!

Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

I've made these with egg whites before and they came out nicely, but I imagine they're just as tasty this way :).

Deepa Hari February 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

Yeah, even i always have room for 'Norukuteeni'...Macaroons look Yum Nithya...they r my favourite...never get tired of them...Congrats on your award.

Srikitchen February 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

wow! macaroons looks yummyano!
congrats on ur awards!

Raaga February 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

you make it sound so easy :) and this is about the only way I can eat coconut in a sweet :)

Malar Gandhi February 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

Sounds like nice norukku-theeni. I too like coconut macaroons so much, makes a healthy dessert...

Yasmeen February 9, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

I love to munch on such sweet treats,looks fab with drizzle of chocolate:)

Uj February 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

That looks like a quick fix... BTW even I fall under the same category. Love to eat something sweet after a meal :P Even a fruit would do :P My mum's opposite. Enjoy your awards

CurryLeaf February 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Love the post and these are perfect for nourukufying. ;)Congrats on your awards.

Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

love the macroons nitya

Lakshmi February 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

macaroons look sl.... did u hear that sound? anything with coconut and milk should be as good.. with hersheys choclate on those macaroons it is..irresistible

Swapna February 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

sounds simple& delicious too

Vibaas February 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

Looks soooo tempting!

Jaishree Iyer February 10, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

Nithya coconut macaroons looks great..and mouth watering ...soooo tempting!.congrats on your award

notyet100 February 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

omg i think i am goin to try them soon,..one question,.u use fresh coconit scraps or dried will do,..?

Sia February 12, 2009 at 2:47 AM  

now that looks delish... but is it easy to store it? i meant, doesn't it crumble?

Nithya Praveen February 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

Maya,SMN,Sowmya,Daily Meals,Lubna,Mangala,AnuSriram,Deepa,Srilekha,Raaga,Malar,Yasmeen,Ujwal,Curryleaf,Swapna,Vibaas,Jaishree,- Thanks so much!
LG – Yes I heard the sound:-P Thanks!
Sophie – That’s nice, lemme try adding eggs next time.
Notyet100 – Dried ones are better to use.I think the fresh ones may not suit this recipe.Thanks for visiting my blog.
Sia – Thanks for visiting my blog.It definetly doesn’t crumble,store it in any air tight container.

Cham February 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

Ha ha we use to say the same word "norukufy" and do the same after dinner ... That is a easy beezy macaroons Nit!

Anonymous February 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

That's a delicious norukufy nithya! nice pictures! :)

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP