Cherimoya Custard and an Award!

Monday, February 23, 2009

It was Oscar fever at home too. However,I wasn’t too keen on watching it,but P insisted and dragged me to see the program.I didn’t quite enjoy Slumdog Millionaire,except for Rehman nothing else seemed right to me.I am a diehard fan of A R Rehman, so he being nominated was the only enthu that kept me on with the award ceremony. I was jumping to glory to see him receive the much coveted award. And to add to this,his performance at the Oscars was mind blowing.I was touched by his “Thanksgiving speech”.When he won the first award for the Best Original Score,along with his thanking note he said “Mere paas Ma hain”(ofcourse he translated this- I have my mother),apparently his Mom had accompanied him for the ceremony and for the second award he said “Ella Pugazhum Iraivanuke” meaning - All praises/tributes is to God. I am in complete awe of his simplicity and humility.Hats off to him – Jai ho!

Coming to my recipe,Cherimoya is nothing but Custard Apple.I happened to find it at the local Chinese market here.This is one fruit that I’ve missed eating for long.It brought back memories of the Custard Apple tree at my house back in India.Although the tree bore delicious fruit, it was tedious to remove the zillion seeds in it. To my pleasant surprise the one here had less than ten seeds ,making my job much simpler.It makes me wonder,the wonders of Nature’s creation,the same fruit being different yet so similar across continents



Ingredients:

Cherimoya/Custard Apple – 1
Sugar – ½ cup
Cream – ½ cup
Milk – 1 cup
Vanilla Extract/essence – 1tsp
Egg Yolk – 1(optional)
Kit Kat chocolate – 1 (small – chopped)

Method :

1.Cut and deseed the Cherimoya,extract the pulp and mash it.
2.If using egg,beat the yolk along with Vanilla Extract.
3.Add sugar,mashed pulp and Milk.Mix well,add the cream. Refrigerate it add the chopped chocolate before serving.



A friend of ours actually served Custard along with Chocolate which was delicious, this was originally her idea. I added egg thinking it would make it smooth, but this can be avoided.



Vidhas of the "Appetizing Recipes" has passed on this award to me.Thanks so much! I would like to pass it on to Varsha,Mangala and Jaishree

31 comments:

Preety February 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

interesting recipe..we are also soo happy when rehman got two oscars in a row..my husband was jumping all over like a small kid..:):)

Manju February 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

the custard looks fantabulous!!

Nithya Praveen February 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Wow that was quick girls:) Thanks Preety and Superchef!

Varsha Vipins February 23, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Thanks sweetie for the award..You said right..Rahman is an awesome human being..:)I loved the performance n was all emo..:P
the fruit is new to me...totally..the custard looks fab tho with all the chopped chocs..thats a new idea for me too..will try it next time..:)

Mahimaa's kitchen February 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

what? there is chocolate in the custard? lovely.. i wud sure love it.

Sara February 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

My husband loves cherimoya, I'll have to make this for him!

Lavanya February 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

looks cool & intresting...

Pavithra Kodical February 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

I too love custard apples.Simple and delicious cherimoya...

Jai ho! To A.R.Rahman.He has made India proud :)

Deepa Hari February 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Yeah, we were also very happy for ARR...he deserves it.

Custard looks great...adding choc. to the custard is pretty cool.

Unknown February 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

looks delicious..love the chocolate in it..

Lakshmi February 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

never seen kit kat in any custard! interesting addition Nithya and I am sure my son will dig into that custard for Kitkat..

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

wwwowww... yummy :)
chocolate in custard? have to try this :)

lubnakarim06 February 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM  

Very innovative and yum.

Chitra February 24, 2009 at 3:34 AM  

Yup,ARR is great,really proud of him:)recipe isvery simple and awesome..nice idea of adding kitkat to it...tempting one:)

gtyuk February 24, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

looks yummy! my children will love it!

Rachel February 24, 2009 at 5:55 AM  

Good recipe.

You get custardapples of both the varieties that you mention in India as well.. The ones that you get in the Nilgiris Mountains in India have lesser seeds.

FH February 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

Loved the speech too, specially about the "OM", never heard that before! :)

Custard looks delicious, used to eat custard apples a lot in India.

Ashwini February 24, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Wow..looks delish..Adding kit kat makes it more yumm and inviting..

Paru ... February 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Sounds new and Yummy to me Nithya..

Chutneytales February 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

OMG..What an innovative and simple dessert you have made..You are genius..I love the idea of adding kit-kat..Yum yum..

AR deserves much much more..I wish him to get the oscar award every year :)

Mangala Bhat February 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

hi ..Neetya i love custard ...looks yummy ...
Congrats .on your wonderful award ...and thanks soo much that u passed that to me :) ohh my goodness:) Thanks again:)

veggie belly February 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Ive been so excited about the oscars! When will we hear tamil and hindi at the oscars again?! Ive never had custard apple but I love the sound of it with kit kat..yumm!

Cham February 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

That was exciting moment, Love Rehman speech and his simplicity! Lovely custard with chocolate!

Beyond Curries February 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

I too agree with your views on SDM, ARR and custard apple. Interesting recipe Nithya. I'll also see if I can get it in the Chinese market.

Aparna Balasubramanian February 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

This sounds good. But how on earth did you deseed the fruit? It must have taken quite an effort.
May I suggest chocolate chips or maybe even chocolate kisses in the custard?

Dershana February 25, 2009 at 2:33 AM  

Looks delicious! cherimoya means custard apple!!! what an exotic name :-)

AnuSriram February 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

That sounds interesting.. Never heard of cherimoya before...

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Rahman is amazing! And he definitely deserves that award! Now this custard is amazing as well, very creative!Hope you can come over and share this yummy treat over at Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. Would also love a link to this post from our site.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog)Here's how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! See you there! Thanks! - Alisa @ Foodista

KonkaniBlogger February 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Was wondering what Cherimoya is, now I know :). I love that fruit, though its a pain to pick out all those seeds. Have to hunt for it in the chinese stores here. Nice touch with chocolate to the custard.

Madhu's cooking gallery February 26, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your space looks fabulous! Chocolate in custard sounds yum!

Nithya Praveen February 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Varsha,Mahimaa,Sara,Lavanya,Pavithra Kodical,Deepa Hari,Sowmya,Indhu,Lubna,Chitra,Akal ‘s Saapadu,Asha,Ashwini,Paru,Madhumati,Mangala,Cham,Madhuram,Dershana,AnuSriram,Maya,Madhu & thumbbook – Thanks so much for taking your time and checking my blog and for the wonderful and motivating comments.
LG – Kids wud love this addition of chocolate,am sure ur son wud too
Rachel – That’s a good note on the fruit,thanks for letting me know
Veggie belly – You bet I wish to hear the same
Aparna – It sure was a tedious task…Yes chocolate chips sounds all the more exciting to me.Nice idea

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP