Cinnamon Rolls

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Every other day I’ve been going out and things keep me busy. Jes got some time time now, thought to blog and also see what my fellow bloggers are up to!

I got to attend the Midwinter Feast at the International Institute of this state. It was well attended by people from different countries (around 20 different countries).We along with three more friends represented India. P along with his friends started identifying the flags of different countries displayed....Algeria,Lebanon,Denmark,Somalia,Hungary,Indonesia….…etc and that’s when I realized how bad I was.(huh!).For entertainment,there was a belly dance called Shaka Shaka Shaka by two beautiful girls(not sure from which country) and not to forget the soothing Carnatic music performance by our very own Nirmala Rajasekhar,she is definitely a great singer.

Being a foodie,I thoroughly enjoyed the different cuisines.For starters – Hummus & Pita(Lebanese),Piiraka(Finnish) this was new to me,it was something like a pie - a nice crust with mashed potatoes and for non veggies Martabak(Indonesian) and Eggrolls(Thai). Veg options in the main course- Lasagne(Italian),Bean Cake Moi-moi(Nigerian),Pad Thai(Thai) and Spicy Veg Biryani(Somalian) ,Green Bean Salad(Lebanese),Mediterranean Salad(Egyptian).And the best was the Desserts – Apple Turnovers(Swiss),Sweet Potato Pie(African American),Cookies(Tibetan) and Baklava(Egyptian).Ahhhh what a feast:-P. The icing on the cake was the $100 gift coupon(For one of the finest restaurants here) which I won there. I was overjoyed!

Coming to my recipe, I relished my first Cinnamon roll in Las Vegas Airport and haven’t forgotten the taste till date. The flavor that it brings to any food is incredible.P has a sweet tooth and made this for him yesterday.Its usually a li’l soft but I like it to be a li’l crunchy munchy :)



Ingredients & Method:

For the dough
All Purpose Flour – 3 cups
Granulated Sugar – 5 tbsp
Salt – a pinch
Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
Butter – 1 stick(1/2 cup)
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Milk – ½ - ¾ cup

For the filling

Cinnamon powder – 2 tbsp
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Granulated Sugar – ¼ cup
Pecans – 2 tbsp chopped (optional)
Butter – 2tbsp
Flour –for rolling/dusting

Mix all the above filling ingredients together and set aside.

For the icing-
Granulated Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla Extract – ½ tsp
Milk – 5 tbsp
Cream – 3tbsp

Method

1. Mix all the dough ingredients to form soft dough.Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk depending on the texture of the dough.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle(use flour for dusting).Evenly spread the filling on top of it. Carefully roll the dough and seal the ends(you may use milk to help you with sealing). Cut the roll into pieces (thickness to an inch or more).


3. Place the rolls on greased baking sheets and Bake at 375F until brown. It took 35mins for me. Allow it to cool for just few minutes.
4. Prepare the icing by mixing all the ingredients and drizzle it on top of the cinnamon roll.Let it set and enjoy the rolls!



I placed few pecans on top of the rolls,which is optional.Serve it hot or cold.

Since this was for P,I am sending this to Alka of Sindhirasoi who is hosting the "Just for You" event.


And also to Varsha of Will-O'-the-wisp who is hosting the event "Desert for the rest of us" originally started by Ramki of One Page cookbooks.

28 comments:

Cham February 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

U ve neatly rolled. Looks perfectly delcious :) So u did enjoy the belly dance :)

Nithya Praveen February 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Hey thanks cham...yes i did enjoy the belly dance:-P.I was staring at my husband when the girls danced around our table:-)

Ashwini February 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

wow..you must have had great fun at the feast..Cinnamom rolls looks perfect..yummyy

Varsha Vipins February 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

A big LOL..I liked that reply to Cham..you too Brutusii..:D
Bet u had a great great time there..I am quite jealous of u baby..:P..n u won the prize too..my my..:)..Congrats..
The roll is just perfect!!!want to grab it right now..pls courier me a few..:P

Varsha Vipins February 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

n yeah..dont 4get to mail me the entry..:)

Chutneytales February 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment.I just fell in love with your blog template..Its awesome.You have a great collection of recipes..Love the Cinnamon rolls..Im tempted to try some..

Nithya Praveen February 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Yes Ahwini,i had a great time at the feast:)Thanks for visiting my blog!
Varsha - I cudnt stop laughing reading ur comment,yes I am a "Meanie" wife...i better be that way ha ha ha:-P.I shall courier some to u and also mail the entries.A single mail with all entries wud be easier for u right?Wat say?
Madhu - Thanks for the lovely comments:)

Varsha Vipins February 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

I came back to read your reply..:D..I knew u would b chweet enuf to courier me those..eagerly waiting..:D
btw..single mail will be grt..

jayasree February 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

First time here. The rolls looks crunchy and delicious.

Unknown February 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

they have come so perfect..looks fantastic..

vidhas February 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Congrats on your prize Nithya. Enjoed reading the visit and the comments to cham alos. If I will go there with by husband i will do the same ;-D, Nice rolls, mounthwatering, inviting.

Lakshmi February 13, 2009 at 1:52 AM  

simple to make..looks like suits novice bakers like me..will try this for sure

Chitra February 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM  

hope u had a grea time with ur hubby in the feast:)cinnamon rolls looks perfect..will try with my husband..hope he'll like it:)

Mangala Bhat February 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

wow ! nice pic ..hey u must have had a great fun there .hey thanks for the recipe

Namrata Kini February 13, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Cinnamon rolls look very tempting Nithya. I wish I could grab a few of those.

Finla February 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Wowo they looks so perfect and yummy delicious.

AnuSriram February 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

They look gorgeous! I wanted to try them since long time...

Anonymous February 13, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

ohh..i have a sweet tooth too..they look absolutely delicious! :)

Deepa Hari February 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

Cinnamon rolls looks absolutely fantastic....love them....i bet u had a great feast.

Yasmeen February 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

sounds like a fun feast.Scrumptious rolls.please trail back to my blog for a
token of gratitude)

Mahimaa's kitchen February 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

wwow.. cinnamon rolls looks awesome... nice pics too.

Trupti February 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Cinnamon Rolls looks simply delcious..nice photos

Natasha February 14, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

Wow, Nithya, these look great! For a long time now I have been thinking about making cinnamon rolls but didn't get around to it, and finally forgot about my craving. Now, I want one! lol. Thanks for the inspiration.

Artist At Work February 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Wow..those look amazing..quite drool-worthy, if I do say so myself,lol.
And I am not even a big sweets fan!

<3 Hannah

Dershana February 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM  

the rolls luk nice scrumptious! long for one!

Nithya Praveen February 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Jayashree – Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sowmya,Vidhas,Mangala,Namrata,HappyCook,AnuSriram,Kalpana,Mahimaa,Trupti,Natasha,Hannah,Dershana – Thanks you all for the wonderful comments.
LG ,Chitra– Sure try this and lemme know.
Deepa Hari – Yes I had a great time.Thanks.
Yasmeen – Thanks so much for the comment and the award.Appreciate it:)

Unknown May 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

I remember having cinnabon in Las Vegas airport with pecans too! this is in my to do list for long! Has turned out perfectly for u!

Vrinda May 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

yummy cinnamon rolls...

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP