Low Cal Yogurt and Banana Frozen Dessert

Thursday, June 18, 2009


Talk about Birthday parties,if it is ours its fun,if its our friends it all the more fun,what if it’s a small kido’s birthday?
After moving here,I have been attending Kids Birthday Parties more than ever before.While P doesn’t miss any of it,more so for the free meal(as always):-D,I often wonder how much he actually enjoys being a part of it.Initially,I used to feel a li’l out of place during these parties as most people had kids leaving the newly weds as minorities.However over a period of time I’ve started getting used to these, reminding myself that I wud be in the same boat sooner or later hosting my kids party.It also makes me realize the amount of patience and responsibility that I need to have before I become a parent.The birthday babies all decked up are blissfully unaware of the colorful surrounding ,clapping hands and multitude of new faces.They look extremely adorable and hog the limelight for the entire evening.Thanks to the technology - Digital Camera,Camcorders etc,these precious moments are captured and can be treasured lifelong.Shopping for gifts isn’t easy either,with tons of cute options available .I wish I were a kid here celebrating birthdays and receiving gifts:). How I wish?

The Birthday cakes again are so colorful and fascinating.Having a cake in the shape of Garfields,Barbie or Dora is so common these days.Its jes not the taste of the cake,the presentation and decoration makes it even more appealing to the taste buds.I realized after coming back from my vacation,I haven’t baked a cake/a pie/tart.Since I wanted to make something different,some thing simple and low on calories I made this yummy looking dessert.The recipe was from the book Smoothies and desserts,but I have tweaked it to suit my taste buds and yes it is a Low Cal Dessert,aint that good enuf to indulge on?:-P

Prep Time – 20min
Start to Finish – 3.5 hrs(including freezing time)
Servings – 10-12

Ingredients:

Graham Cracker Crumbs – 1 cup
Butter – 2 tbsp (Melted)
Pecans – 2 tbsp (very small pieces)
Sugar – 2 tbsp

For the topping:

White Chocolate/Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie filing mix – 1 pkt
Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt – 2 cups
Milk – ¼ cup( I used 1% milk)
Low Fat Whipped topping – 1 ½ cups – Frozen(thawed)
Bananas – 2 ripe and firm (chopped into cubes)
1 tbsp – chocolate syrup

Method:

Grease an 8 inch square baking tray,with fork mix crumbs,melted butter,Pecans and sugar until crumbs are evenly moistened.With hands,press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of the plate.Bake at 375F for 10mins.Cool it well.This is the usual recipe I follow to make the crust.
In a bowl,mix the pudding mix,yogurt and milk,whisk for a minute until smooth(I used an electric blender for a min in low speed).Fold in the whipped topping,don’t try beating it.Drop the Bananas and stir in slowly.Spread this mixture onto the crust(Crust should be at room temperature or cold).Cover and freeze at least for 3 hours or until firm.

Remove from the freezer , let it stand for 10min and then cut into squares and top each squares with chocolate syrup. Always store the remaining covered in the freezer.

The second time I tried this,I didn’t bake the crust.I went by the original recipe - I spread the crumbs and placed it in the freezer for 10mins,did the topping and it was jes perfect.


Verdict:

Looks can kill,don’t they?During each bite, I could feel the banana chunks,it was very well coated with the cream and yogurt.In between l'il pecans made it crunchy.I could eat this guilt free not thinking much of calories.230 cals per serving for this wonderful dessert….ain’t that great?:P)

Am sending this to Sugar High Fridays "Fruit & Nut" (Banana & Pecans are the Fruit and nut that I have used)and since this doesn't contain Egg and is Low on fat this is also off to Madhuram's "Low Fat Baking Event"

Preethi of Preethi's online Cookbook has passed on the lovely blog award.Thanks so much Preethi.

I am also asked to pass this on to 10 bloggers,so here I go - I would like to pass this on to Harini,Padma,Somoo,Priya,A2ZVegetarian,Parita,Divya Vikram,Pavithra,Prathiba and Varsha



Also, Varsha has tagged me for the "Honest Scrap Award" where am supposed to write 10 things about myself and guess I have already done this here.

33 comments:

Subhie Arun June 18, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

wow..looks mouthwatering yar..will give a try..thx 4 sharing..thx 4 visiting my site n leave comments...keep visiting

Unknown June 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

yum, that looks great Nithya! thanks for sharing a healthy recipe with SHF this month!:)

Jennifer June 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

YUM!! I'm not a good cook but I've gotta try that sometime! It looks like it wasn't too hard to amke right?! Oooh yum yum! Make me one for my b-day?! haha!

Varsha Vipins June 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

Cool dessert Nithya..sure it stastes yum,with all that banana in it..:)..n I havent been to bday party for a long time..!

Ann June 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Nithya.. This looks o yummy adn mouth watering for a banana dessert lover like me:)

Preety June 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

i know i use to feel the same b4 having my daughter..Even everyone with kids get the return gift too but not the newly wed couples:(..

The dessert looks super delicious

Mangala Bhat June 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

wow !..will give it a try soon what a lovely looking desert dear ..looks soo yumm and rich !!

Padma June 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Such a delicious desert Nithya .... good try and it has come out so good ... and also Congrats on your award :)

Unknown June 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

Looks very delicious. Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing it.

Gita Jaishankar June 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Awesome dessert...I cant believe it is low in calories :)

kittymatti June 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

oooh! Im drooling! U have done a great job dear!

Priya Suresh June 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Thats a droolworthy dessert, looks amazing Nithya!!! Congrats on ur award dear...

Parita June 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Oh my the frozen dessert looks heavenly, congratulations on the award and thank you so much dear to pass on the award to me!

Pavithra Elangovan June 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

wow thats really looking yummm dear.. looks so mouthwatering

Uma June 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

ooh, this is too tempting Nitya!! Well done. looks so good and delicious :) Congrats on the awards.

Pooja June 18, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Oh my that looks heavenly Nithya! Low calorie dessert for a perfect giult free indulgence. Love it!

Sanghi June 18, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

Congrats on the award nithya. Yummy quick healthy dish! love the clicks too..!:)

chef and her kitchen June 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

OMG that looks so yummy..I want to grab a piece right now...
Looks divine in one word..
Thanks for thinking of me dear...so chweet..

gtyuk June 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM  

delicious with the bananas , yum yum!

Unknown June 19, 2009 at 3:42 AM  

awesome dessert...looks really tempting..

lubnakarim06 June 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

Hmmm many a times i too feel like that only dear.....most of my friends are having kids and whenever they call me or i call them its only kids stuff we talk......hmmm kask ke phir se kids hotay....not only gifts....we will get cakes and chocolates unlimited......That dessert looks droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool worthy.....

Sunshinemom June 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

Very tasty dessert, Nithya. Enjoy your award and thanks for thinking about me too!

Shama Nagarajan June 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

yummy yummy delicious dessert

TBC June 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

That looks so rich and decadent... would never have thought it to be low-cal! :)

Srikitchen June 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

wow! its mouthwatering and an excellent click of pics!

Red Chillies June 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Patience and Responsibility comes in so naturally after a child is born. It is as if we are transformed right when we see the baby in our arms. The dessert looks delicoius.

Dhanya Ganesh June 20, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

Wow..what a lovely dessert. Perfect for this hot weather:).

Saritha June 20, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

Looks so mouthwatering,will try this for sure :)

Madhuram June 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

That's a lovely dessert Nithya. I'll include it in the round up. Thanks for sending it.

Malar Gandhi June 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

Looks so delicious...very inviting photo!

Home Cooked Oriya Food June 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Wow - what a dessert ? I am hungry! Guilt free yummy dessert is worth dying for or rather living for...

Sophie June 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

This sounds great! Kinda like a cheesecake but better, I'd take this for dessert on a hot summer day like today :).

Priyanka Agrawal July 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM  

how i wish these temptations had no calories sigh

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP