Apple-Pear Crisp

Monday, June 15, 2009

Train rides have always fascinated me since childhood.Journey through the lush green agricultural lands,deep dense woods,the feel of wind gushing thru my face,the sound of the engine horn, the rumbling noise of the wheels,etc.I have enjoyed Mother Nature’s beauty most while travelling by train.Thanks to the numerous trips during Summer Vacations in India. Well this is how I spent my weekend….a nature lover would surely enjoy these.Indian Railways is the largest railway network in the world, one of the most profitable ones too and not to mention one of the largest employers in the world.I had expressed my interest to travel in train here several times to P and my request finally fructified this weekend.Well it was a pleasant surprise trip to Iowa.We took the scenic Rail ride across the Iowa valley in an Open top train.This reminded me of the “Chaiya chaiya song” from the movie “Dil Se”.The weather was beautiful making the trip even more pleasant.It was a good two hours journey through the woods and rivers.We saw pretty homes,wild life and some breath taking views.It was a good break from the usual grind.We have made sure to make the best use of Summer,Road trips,biking, canoeing,rafting and the list goes on.I hope atleast a few of them materialize in the next few months.

Coming to the recipe,few days back I came across Rachel’s blog filled with wonderful recipes.I am sending across the “Apple-Pear Crisp” which I made from her recipe to Coconut & Lime’s Annual Recipe Contest that she is hosting this month.

Preparation Time – 10mins
Start to finish – 40mins(Including Baking time of 30mins)

Ingredients:

Apples – 3 Large (cubed)
Pears – 3 large (cubed)
Light Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Cinnamon powder – 1 ½ tsp
Corn Starch – ½ tsp

For the topping :

Old fashioned rolled oats – ½ cup
All Purpose Flour – ¼ cup
Light Brown Sugar – ¼ cup
Butter – 3 tbsp(melted)
Cinnamon – ½ tsp

Method:

Mix the first set of ingredients and place it on a greased baking dish.Mix the toppings separately and sprinkle evenly over the fruit mixture.Bake at 350F until the fruit is soft or the top turns brown and crispy.


Verdict:

Surely a wonderful recipe,best when served hot with a scoop of Vanilla Icecream. I made this for breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it.This tastes best only when made with brown sugar.

Note : I used Granny Smith Apples.While making it for the second time I reduced the quantity of all the ingredients as it was made only for the two of us.I had also added pecans and raisins for the topping.

This is also off to Shanthi’s Sweet Time event and Divya of Dil Se’s Show me your breakfast event.

36 comments:

Gita Jaishankar June 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

Wow...thats a decadent dessert Nithya...I wish I could have that now :)

Lisa Turner June 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

Wonderful idea to add pears to apple crisp. A perfect summer dessert!

Varsha Vipins June 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

me too love train trips..:)..used to got mom's home by train when I was kid..was so fun..sigh..:)
n the crisps r perfect fpr the season..I have some cherries n was planning to make something like thsi with it..looks good Nithya..:)

Padma June 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Apple pear crisp looks so delicious .... and also noticed that you have changed your layout... looks too good Nithya :)

Reeni June 15, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

This sounds wonderful with pears and apples! A decadent breakfast, for sure! Your train ride sounds lovely, to sit back and relax and enjoy the sights.

Laavanya June 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

I love all kinds of fruit crisps and that bowlful looks so scrumptious.

Home Cooked Oriya Food June 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

I love your crisp... i made mine with cherries using some store made crisp powder - wasnt impressive... Have to try the from scratch version I guess...

kittymatti June 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

lovely! i can imagine how good the taste would be with such interesting ingredients!

Unknown June 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Nice dessert. Just looks lovely.

Sunshinemom June 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

Born with a silver spoon:). Nice picture and a tasty breakfast!

Pavithra Elangovan June 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

Good idea of using fruits..looking delish dear

chef and her kitchen June 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

Wow thats a yummy combo gal...Perfect dessert...

veena June 15, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

Hi da..
Apple with pear ..Sounds great ..Looks mouth watering dessert

Manju June 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

awesome for breakfast!! i would kill for it.

a train journey!! yippe!! i wouldve loved it! great that you guys have plans to make the most of summer. Even we plan to do a lot of camping and hiking this summer! :)

Uma June 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM  

your new template looks nice Nitya! Pretty colors :)

Apple pear crisp looks tooo tempting and yummy.

Shama Nagarajan June 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM  

lovely one..mmm yumyum

Parita June 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

I enjoy train rides too, i remember travelling every summer vacation, i usually prefer to read novels while travelling, your apple pear crisp looks delectable..cant wait to try!!

Priya Suresh June 16, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

Delicious dessert!!!looks amazing!

Chitra June 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

Looks yummy..nice template nithya:)

Pooja June 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Ohh that look so delicious Nithya! Perfect dessert!

Ann June 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

very tempting picture Nithya! I wish I can have right now.

Ramya Vijaykumar June 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

Oh my a fabulous dessert and served perfectly too!!! I too love to travel in train its simply occupying and a nice experience!!!

Vijitha June 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

Yummy dessert! looks brilliant.

Usha June 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

This desert looks fantastic, great pictures !

Preeti Singh June 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

Awesome dessert....looks to nice...feeling like tasting it.

Vrinda June 17, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Thats a great yummy dessert..lov apples in desserts

Saritha June 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Lovely breakfast,my kids will like this for sure.

suvi June 18, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

the best part about a crisp is its versatility...you can make it with just about any fruit, but I esp love this combo!!

AnuSriram June 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

Looks awesome... wonderful presentation!

lubnakarim06 June 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Blog makeover looks gr8! I too love train trips but mostly in Decembers when the climate is gr8!........that crisp looks drool worthy...

Malar Gandhi June 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

my gosh, what a lovely creation...love this. Now pass me that bowl.

ARUNA June 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

wow this dessert is tempting me now.......looks yummmmmmyyyy!!!!!

Nithya Praveen June 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

Thanks all for the lovely comments!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca June 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Perfect for the season..I am sure gonna try it out Nithya.Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Ruchi July 16, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

Thank you for the wonderful recipe which seems very easy and delicious. I am going to have some guest over and am going to give this a try. Do you think, the quantity that you posted will be enough for 6 people? Also, do I have to peel the apples and pears?

Nithya Praveen July 21, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

Ruchi - The quantity mentioned here wud be good for 6 people.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP