Kerala Puttu and Kadala Curry

Friday, July 31, 2009

Vineela Siva,Sreevidya and EC have passed on the “Creative Blogger”award.This award is pretty unique as it has certain rules attached to it:)

1.You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2.Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3.Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4.Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5.Nominate 7 other Kreative Bloggers.
6.Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7.Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.

I thank Vineela Siva,Sreevidya and EC for this lovely award.

I have been tagged earlier with similar rules and am jes copying what I had mentioned earlier.So here are few things about me......

1.Kitchen is my exclusive paradise, an area where I pursue my culinary endeavors , no one gets to cook..It’s MY SPACE!

2.I am a cleanliness freak, particularly Kitchen & Bathroom.Utensils lying in the sink is a good enough reason for me to lose my temper.P bares the brunt most times.

3.I drink gallons of water,so I use the loo a lot:-P My friends always take a dig at me for this!

4.I believe,am not only good in making friends but keeping them too,still in touch with folks I’ve known since I was 5yrs old.Touchwood!

5.As a kid I’ve been told” books are like god”,if your feet happens to touch it,take it immediately and hold it close to your eyes (actually its like saying sorry god).Just for fun,my Dad and bro torture me by actually taking a newspaper,touch it to my feet,hide it & make me run around the entire house,I would be relieved only when I find it. Its quite funny but I still believe in this.

6.I don’t claim to be a Master neither a geek,but certainly good at excel and numbers, after all that’s been my bread & butter for long.

7.I drool over Death by Chocolate & Tiramisu,the latter being my fav one.Am crazy to the extent of naming P’s number on my mobile phone as “Tiramisu”

I am passing this on to - Varsha,Prathiba,Vijitha,Supriya,Mahimaa,Vidya and Lubna.

Now coming to the post,of all the Kerala food that I've had,Puttu always remains close to my heart.This is one such food that I simple can't resist.Typical Puttu is made using the Puttu Maker.I had picked one such during my India trip this year,however had to drop it due to weight constraints.So I am sticking to my own way of making it using a cooker.

Puttu

Prep Time - 10 mins
Start to Finish - 20mins
Servings - 2 to 3


Ingredients:

Store bought Puttu powder/Rice flour – 2 cups
Salt – a pinch
Fresh shredded Coconut – 1 cup

Method:

If using rice flour,heat a pan and sauté the flour until raw smell disappears.In a big bowl mix the flour,salt and li’l water until you end up with a crumbled texture.Do not add a lot of water,as we don’t need a dough like consistency.For best results,sprinkle water li’l by li’l and gently mix the flour.Add coconut and mix well.Place the mixture in a wide vessel and steam it for about 8-9mins in a pressure cooker.You may use an idly stand or jes a plain wide vessel.Serve hot along with Kadala curry(recipe follows).


Infact,if you have a sweet tooth,you may add sugar and cardamom powder to the steamed mixture and have it along with riped bananas,a typical way of relishing them.While sauting the flour,ensure not to burn them.I generally use a 2:1 ratio for the flour and the coconut,you may choose to lessen the quantity of coconut.These days Puttu powders are easily available in any Indian Grocers which comes very handy,I've used Ragi Puttu Powder, which is very high in proteins.I came across an interesting way of making them in Divya Vikram’s blog,you may check that out too.

Kadala Curry

Prep Time – 10min
Start to Finish – 45 min(excluding soaking time)
Serves – 2 to 3


Ingredients:

Black Chana/Konda Kadala/Black or Brown chickpeas – 2 cups (soaked overnight and cooked with salt until soft)
Tomato – 2 (pureed)
Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)

For the masala(to be grinded):


Coconut – ½ cup
Onion – 1 small (roughly chopped)
Ginger – an inch
Garlic pods – 3 nos
Coriander and Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp each dry roasted (optional)
Coriander cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
Green chillies – 2 nos
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp

Seasoning -


Mustard seeds – 1/ tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp

Method:

1.In a wok/skillet,heat oil and add mustard and curry leaves.Add Onions and sauté until translucent.
2.Add the grinded masala paste,sauté for few minutes.Add the tomato puree and cook until the raw smell disappears.
3.Add salt(salt has been already added while cooking the chickpeas,hence be careful while adding it the second time).
4.Add the boiled/cooked chickpeas to this gravy.Add a cup of water and allow it to cook until it thickens.Serve hot with Puttu.


I mentioned that the coriander and cumin seeds is optional,I add them because it brings an extra flavor when grinded fresh and also brings in a nice aroma when blended with coconut.


Verdict:


Puttu and Kadala Curry is the best combo that I can think of.Though it tasted very well,i somehow feel that the ones made with rice flour tastes the BEST!

Sending Kadala Curry to MLLA 13 hosted by Harini of Tongueticklers,which is the brainchild of Susan of Well Seasoned Cook

32 comments:

Kitchen Chronicles July 31, 2009 at 5:55 PM  

Congrats on your award. Ragi Puttu and Kadalai curry are looking superb and a good healthy combo.

A.W.E.D German is going on in my blog. Please do participate.

delightsofcooking.blogspot.com

Varsha Vipins July 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

Thanks ton for the award dear..n congrats to u..:)
Thge kadala curry looks scrumptous..what a divine combo alle..a cuppa hot tea n its complete..!..Here we both are crazy about this combo n make it almost every weekend..I bought a puttu cooker sometime back just to get that home look n feel..Back home,we layer flour n coocnut alternatively n steam it..some of ma frnds have been asking to post it since long..hope to do that soon..:)
hugs

Vijitha July 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM  

yummy puttu kadala - my all time fav. I mix even ghee n sugar to the puttu. Yummy!

Thanks a bunch for the award dear. Really sweet of u to think about me. :-)

Pooja July 31, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Congrats on your award! Nice to know more about you. It was a very interesting read! Puttu Kadala is truly a marriage made in heaven..its so irresistible! Loved the way you made puttu. Never knew that it could be steamed by placing vessel in a cooker! The kadala curry looks delicious!

Unknown July 31, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

Looks lovely. This is my husband's favorite dish.

VineelaSiva July 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Nice recipe never tried kerala recipes.Will try sometime.Its nice to know more abt u dear.Its very good habit to drink lot of water but iam very bad in that.Even me too in the kitchen dear.Enjoy the weekend dear.

Preety July 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

never had this combo before but sounds good..gr8 pics too..Congrats on your award too

Raks July 31, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Have heard a lot about this combo,but never tried,urs has come out nice:)

Ann August 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Puttu looks awesoem adn Congrats on your award, Really good to know more abt you :)

chef and her kitchen August 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM  

Oh that looks so yummy.that kadala curry looks lip smacking...Congrats on ur award and I m so pleased for thinking of me...U made my day with ur sweet words dear..Thanks a lot.

Faiza Ali August 1, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

Yummm....the puttu looks soo yummy. Its my favorite too. And LOL at your number 7, naming his number Tiramisu :D

Suparna August 1, 2009 at 6:00 AM  

hi Nithya,
congratulations on ur award!!
it was nice reading about u :)
The puttu kadala curry combo is super tasty!

Padma August 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

Congrats on your award Nithya... and puttu and kadala curry is a great combo... looks too good.

Unknown August 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

congrats on your award and ragi pittu and kadala curry looks so delicious and very health breakfast yum.

Red Chillies August 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Congrats on the award and thanks for passing it onto me Nithya! I am yet to eat the Puttu and Kadala Curry.

Poornima Nair August 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Congrats on ur award....same pinch on going to the loo often, however it's more weird in my case cause I don't even drink much water.
I love puttu too, especially with bananas, but I'm too lazy to scrape so much coconut and I hate the frozen one we get.

Divya Kudua August 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

Congrats on your award.Loved reading through the 7 facts..:).

Puttu kadala is our all time favorite breakfast..looking nice and tempting..:)

Priya Suresh August 2, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Thats a delicious combination Nithya!!looks great:)

kittymatti August 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Congrats! kadala curry is a must try!

Mangala Bhat August 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Hey Nice to know about u ! Hey ...Congrats dear on ur award ! Recipes r awesome ..healthy combo!

Priyameena August 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Nice to know about you...esp the water part is very funny..

puttu looks awesome..

Vani August 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

That's a really nice looking kadala curry :)

Parita August 3, 2009 at 4:11 AM  

congratulations on the award! I too am cleanliness freak to some extent, i hate being messy though sometimes i am :( Kadala curry looks delicious! love to have this with rice..

veggie belly August 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

just in time! i was just given a packet of puttu flour!

vidhas August 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

Lovley combo and i love it. Congrats on your award

Myvegfare August 4, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

congrats on your award, kadala curry looks too good, i have puttu powder but i don't have the puttu maker, i need to try it in some other way any suggestions

Chitra August 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

Congrats on ur award..very nice MEME..puttu with curry looks awesome:)

rachel August 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

ragi puttu is somethig I am yet to try..Puttu and kadala is a fav among several other breakfast dishes.

Suparna August 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

please accept ur awards from my blog dearie :)
Thanks

Nithya Praveen August 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Thanks Lakshmi
Varsha – Now am looking fwd to ur version
Vijitha – Yeah adding ghee is surely a wonderful idea
Pooja – I liked what u said – Puttu and Kadala Curry is truly marriage made in heaven.
Thanks A2Z Vegetarian
We share some similar likings Vineela
Thanks Preety,Rak’s Kitchen,Ann,Prathiba,Faiza,Suparna,Padma,Rekha,Supriya,Divya,Priya,Kittymatti,Mangala,Priyameena,Parita,Veggie Belly,Vidhas,Chitra,Rachel
Poornima – you too loo person…ha ha!
Jayasri – I don’t have a puttu maker too,I have used the pressure cooker to make them.
Thanks Suparna.

Unknown August 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

Ragi puttu and kadala curry, what a great combo! First time here....u have a great blog!

Usha August 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Congrats on your award. The puttu and kadala curry look really inviting,classic combination . Nice getting to know more about you....:-)

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP