Kesar Badam Phirni( Saffron Almond Rice Pudding)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Weather is a great metaphor for life.The change in weather gets me everytime.Just a week back in India,I was sweating like a pig at 115F,jes in a day when I reached here it was 60F and I needed a light jacket.Awww,I really admire mother nature for the way she has made things for us.As soon as I landed in Delhi,the first thing I enjoyed was to walk barefoot,no socks.....hurray!The weather was just so perfect,no sweater,no jackets,no ear protectors & no gloves. Here,towards the end of winter,I was a l’il irritated with everything white around me…I mean the snow,but now its Spring time,the greening of the grass,the leaves,flowers and blooms starting to come etc,it brings a whole new life together.Wonderful!

Well coming to the post, heard about “Phirni”? It’s a traditional Indian dessert,a rice pudding to be precise which is primarily made with milk,sugar and rice.This has been introduced to us by the Mughals.It’s very similar to the “Kheer” that we make.However,Kheer is Pakistani in origin,while Phirni is Indian.Though the original would always be the Kesar Badam Phirni, the variations to this are endless,the others include - Pistachios,Gulab(Rose),Chocolate,Mango,Apple & Banana Phirnis.



Ingredients:

Basmati Rice/Sona Masoori Rice – 4tbsp
Milk – 1 Gallon
Almond(Badam) – ½ cup
Saffron – a pinch (soaked in warm milk for 30mins)
Sugar – 1 cup
Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
Silvered Almonds – 1 tbsp(for garnishing)

Method:

Wash and soak rice for about an hour.Soak Badam for about 6 hours,peel the skin and blend it into a smooth paste along with the rice.Boil milk,add sugar & cardamom powder,continue boiling until it reduces to 3/4th quantity.Stir well in between.Add the paste and saffron(already soaked in milk).Allow it to boil until it thickens completely(custard like consistency).Pour into individual cups,garnish with silvered almonds and refrigerate for about 6 hours.Serve chilled.



The last time I made this,instead of soaking the rice for long,I microwaved it for 2mins.Also,if you are too lazy to wait for the milk to thicken,you may add 2 tbsp of rice flour mixed with 1/4 cup of water,this will help in thickening faster.Adding Mango to this would be Mango Phirni,adding Banana would be Banana Phirni and so on.

This is off to "Ravishing Rice" event hosted my Nags of the Edible Garden,originally started by Meeta of Monthly mingle

44 comments:

VineelaSiva May 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM  

Wow nice dessert i think it is easy.I posted one of ur recipe bouban biscuits go through it.

Anonymous May 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

hi nithya, thanks for stopping by at Escapades...... let me go back for more ogling at that yummy phirni!!

lubnakarim06 May 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM  

Rich, creamy and delightful.....Love the cool effect phirni......I think you can send this to Monthly Mingle hosted by Nags. Check details at cookingandme.com

Cham May 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

Perfectly creamy and rich dessert!

Varsha Vipins May 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

Hi Nithya..good to see u after a break dear..hws u?hope u had a grt hol's..:)..That phirni looks good ..thick..best way to celebrate the come back..aint it??:)

Unknown May 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

that looks so delcious..so creamy..

Poornima Nair May 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM  

Looks yumm...been ages since I had phirni...really tempting.

Parita May 28, 2009 at 3:10 AM  

Wow looks rich and creamy..hey you can send this to Monthly Mingle hosted by Nags this month...do check out

chef and her kitchen May 28, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

Creamy and rich dessert Nithya.....Looking yummy...Keep visiting my blog dear..

Gita Jaishankar May 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

Thats a creamy bowl of Heaven :)

Finla May 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

Beautiful and super delcious.

Padma May 28, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Phirni looks so creamy n thick ....

Suparna May 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

Hi Nitya,
Thick nutty and rich tempter :) those tips as footnote are really gonna go a long way!!!
I love this indulgence!

BTW sorry abt the comment posting prblm at my blog ...it happens sometimes...network/blogger prblm
:( nevertheless need some patience tester hop on to my place it's irritatingly funny..aaaaaaaaaaaah...lol!don't give up, would love to ciya more often sweetie.

Unknown May 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

sounds so delicious with kesar and badam flavor yum.

Indian Khana May 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

Looks so gud.........yummy...tempting..

dsdsds May 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Guess you had a good vacation... It reminds of India a lot.. when i look at the mangoes, smell the earth during the first rain (which rarely happens)... looking at the bloom during spring... hmmm... yummy delight.. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thought..

Unknown May 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

looks yummy. nice click.

Mangala Bhat May 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

wow! da ,...tumba chennagide nice clicks ...u r tempting me sooo much

Srilakshmi May 28, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

Hey Great looking Phirni! Very yummy..

Deepthi Shankar May 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

I love phirni ... kesar badam is a lovely flavor

Lisa Turner May 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

That pudding looks perfect. Considering how much rice I consume, I can't believe I have not yet made my own rice pudding. Saffron and almond sounds just right.

ARUNA May 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

wow that's an awesome dessert Nithya, something different!

Priya Suresh May 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

Woww Nithya wat a tempting and fabulous phirni...looks amazing!!!

Nandinis food May 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Woo! Phirni looks lip-smacking! Oh, now I know the origin of kheer!

Pooja May 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Lovely phirni! Looks rich and delicious :)

sugar & spice May 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Geez - never had phirni ever since I got back from my Indian vacation. Perhaps I should get mom to make some :)

Great post!

Home Cooked Oriya Food May 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

wow - what nice click... you inspire me to try something sweet...

Manju May 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

yummy phirni..i made some a couple of weeks ago with pistachios!

kittymatti May 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

this looks so delicious!!! Wish i could grab it!

sriharivatsan May 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Rich desert...Very perfect..And I fell in love with Bourban biscuts too...My all time favo...

Lena Jayadev May 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

woww..yummy dessert Nithya..and i loved the presentation... :) thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comment..nw i hope you will come often.. :)

Shah cooks May 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

new to ur blog and just kept staring.. u reminded me that i haven't made firni in a long time. i don't add badam though so will try that next time.

Priyameena May 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Thnka for visiting my blog nitya...You have a beautiful blog..

Uma May 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

mmm. what a tempting phirni! Looks so yummy and perfect! :)

Chitra May 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

yummy dessert..never tried phirni..have BM this:)

Deepa May 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Yummy lovely Phirni Nithya. Will give it a try soon :)

Vibaas May 31, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

that looks so creamy and yummy!

Jaishree Iyer June 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

Hi Nithya,
How r u? Nice to c u back:)phirni looks so delcious..so creamy.yummm

Sindhura June 1, 2009 at 6:04 AM  

Very tempting,rich and creamy Phirni Nitya.Also very cutely presented.
Do drop in to my blog.

Hari Chandana P June 1, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

Hi.. I am a new blogger.. wonderful recipe.. thanks for sharing :)

AnuSriram June 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Wonderful dessert.. Makes a gr8 treat!

Ramya Vijaykumar June 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Delicious phirni... looks very creamy and rich!!! indeed I awe the way nature keeps bringing us new things everyday and still chill during the summer is something unbearable ;)

Nithya Praveen June 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Thanks all....those were very wonderful comments!

Pavithra Elangovan June 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Looking soooooooooo yummy and creamy nithya... so sweet please send me one .

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP